Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto '11 with corrupted Places

I've got a weird situation occurring in Places - where multiple images (100+) which were originally "tagged" in separate locations are now referencing the same incorrect name and location. When I try to delete this errant place in "Manage My Places", iPhoto is non-responsive and I have to Force Quit. Curiously, if I navigate through the Places drop-down menus (Country, State, City, Place) - the original place name exists in the place setting - however when I choose it the tag in the "map view" has the errant name - not the correct name.

Is there any way to restore or "clean up" the Place metadata? I've been using iPhoto since the early days ('04) - always backing up and upgrading. This is the first major quirk I've had in my library of 20,000+ images. Also never rebuilt a library - is that something I need to try? If so, how?

Thanks

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.3), iPhone, iMac, MacBook

Posted on Feb 1, 2012 7:24 PM

3 replies

Mar 4, 2012 8:03 AM in response to AmishGuy

I have this same problem. Sometimes when I go to "Manage My Places" one of the Place's circle will have magically grown from say the size of My House to cover more than the state of Texas. All Places within the "new" Circle will gain My House as their Name & Location. This happens randomly in different iPhoto '11 Library files and for different Places within the same Library file.

This random "growing" of one Place's circle to engulf all Place locations within the New Circle "seems" to happen when I am in "Manage My Places". If I start to resize the circle of one Place, randomly "Manage My Places" jumps to another Place and seems to make the circle for the New Place grow out of control. I can not say this is always the case because sometimes I will just go into "Manage My Places" and one of the Place's circle has "overnight" grown out of control.

thanks

Mar 13, 2012 11:53 PM in response to dscdcf

I am a new user of IPhoto and was so thrilled with it - until today when my 'Places' went mad. I have had exactly the same problems today as you both - after spending weeks locating 11,000 photos! Out of the hundreds of locations - all that are now showing when I click on an event or photo are 3. I have deleted the problem places but as soon as i do another one pops up. Now when i rename a photo it gives me the next one on the list even though I have clicked on the right one. Ditto the above with the circle growing. This problem only occured after I downloaded the updates for IPhoto from the ITunes store. Any connection? Using a backup version does not help - have tried that too.

iPhoto '11 with corrupted Places

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.