Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCPX 10.0.3 disaster!! rendered text file nightmare...

I have made the aparent huge mistake of upgrading to the latest version of FCPX 10.0.3 only to find that every time I reopen a project it does not remember

any of the rendered text files even though they were rendered and are eating up disc space. I have 100 plus videos with text that were all rendered and now since the update they are not showing up as renedered in the sequences, even when I re render a sequence then quit and relaunched final cut x they are in need of rendering again....!!! I pat myself on the back for backin geverything up last night but this is really a big problem, I am still gonna loose about a days worth of work and I hope that I can revert back to the older version. But I will have to use my backup events and projects as well because the new version updated all of my videos and supposedly only works with the updated app not the older version.

This is a major disaster.... Looks like I have to revert to the older version which has other text issues like remembering line spacing but now it does not remeber where the rendered text files are after I quit and relaunch the app... has anyone else encountered this? I am using the most generic font Helvetica...

MP 2008 8 core 2.8,mac mini hdmi, iPhone4,ipad,ATV2, Mac OS X (10.7.2), 12gigs ram, running three montitos

Posted on Feb 1, 2012 8:52 PM

40 replies

Feb 3, 2012 12:24 PM in response to Lance Mcvickar

After reading this thread I thought I would check and see if I had this problem. I opened a project I had just started in 10.0.3 added some text, rendered, closed, reopened...... and no problem. Then I saw someone had mentioned that it only seemed to be older projects that this happened with. So I dug up a project I had completed in 10.0.1/2, greenscreen, motion graphics, text, composites, compound clips, etc...... and everything needed to be rendered.

I then rerendered everything, closed the App, reopened, and my text and other things needed to be rendered AGAIN.

I closed FCP went to the FCP events folder, and project folder and deleted all render files folder for the project. Opened FCP, rerendered and quit FCP. When I reopened FCP ALL renders stuck.

Deleteing old render files worked.

I am on and older 2*2.33 4g of ram running 10.6.8

Hope this will help someone.

sz

Feb 3, 2012 12:36 PM in response to steve z

Very interesting indeed, thanks for sharing. I cannot upgrade at this point as I have too big a work load to go through all the videos and delete and re render things. I am sticking with 10.0.2 until this project is completed. But I will try it out on my MBP when I get a chance, upgrade to 10.0.3 and copy a project and delete the old rendered files and see what happens. Nice work!

Feb 3, 2012 5:40 PM in response to Lance Mcvickar

I've been having the same problem having to re-render all of my Projects every time I reopen Final Cut Pro X, and it has been driving me insane. I updated to FCP 10.0.3 and Lion 10.7.3 within a 24-hour period, so unfortunately I do not know which update has caused the problem.

I downloaded "Preference Manager" (which is great, by the way) but it did not fix this particular problem. I tried using Proxy media, but this didn't work either. I removed clips from the Timeline and replaced them with new ones from the Event Browser to no avail. It didn't matter what I did to those old Projects, I had to re-render every time I quit and reopened FCPX.

A few posts back someone suggested trashing pre-update Projects, so I did. I then created a brand new Project and created the exact same edit (with same effects, transitions, titles), quit the program, then reopened it. I did NOT have to re-render the Project! So TRASHING PRE FINAL CUT PRO 10.0.3 PROJECTS seems to do the trick. In fact, rendering itself seems to be happening a bit quicker as well.

Luckily all I had were practice Projects at the time. I feel badly for anyone who has substantial work in the Timeline, who now has to trash it and start over (or be really patient).

Feb 3, 2012 5:56 PM in response to ACE001

Add me to the same problem. Have a project about 1 hour in length. A simple project, no plugins, just vanilla FCPX. Yesterday, updated both Lion and FCPX. My project which ran just fine in 10.0.2, now re-renders every time. I also had title effects (sports lower third) which lost their Logo Drop Zone. I fixed that by reattaching the correct drop zone and that at least sticks.

I don't make money using FCPX, but if I were a pro i'd be pretty PO at Apple right now.

Feb 3, 2012 6:12 PM in response to TheBigPicture

Having to find this fix was annoying, but to tell you the truth one has to expect some bugs with a new update, especially a new update on a new program. With FCP 10.0.3 there is this problem with having to re-render, but it seems like many of us now have a fix. Despite this, I still think the new update is phenomenal. I'm reading all over the internet that high-end users and calling the new multicam feature 'the best of any nonlinear editing software'. It may be a bit too early to say that so boldly, but still, it does say something. The advanced keyer is nice, as well as the automatic Project backup, the ability to relink media, some changes to the Color Board and the Scopes, and a few changes in Preferences. I think FCP X has come far in the last seven months, and we certainly haven't seen the last update.

As far as pros being 'PO'd' at Apple for this, to tell you the truth any pro who would completely abandon his or her old software and workflow for the brand new and relatively untested FCP X is just asking for trouble, and should really just be 'PO' at themselves. I do get paid to edit with FCP X --and overall I love the program-- but I don't have clients knocking down my door (yet), so I do still have some time to troubleshoot a few hiccups. If I had more business last June I would not have completely dumped FCP 7 for FCP X right off the bat.

Feb 3, 2012 6:13 PM in response to TheBigPicture

Thank you for your understanding and realism here. This isnt about making friends with apple fanboyz - the kind that god forbid one criticizes the "thinking" going on with their "pro" app. THIS fanboy (me) is pizzzzed to say the least- so again thanks for some straight talking!

What really irks me - other than them releasing it without a proper test - which should now be OBVIOUS, is the fact that they FOR SURE KNOW ABOUT ALL THIS NOW and still dont acknowledge the problem!

With money (that means both payment and general time wasted) this whole update is a true unforgivable fiasco.

Someone seriously needs their wrist slapped.

While we all slave away to try and find some kind of band-aid "fix" Apple sits smug and silent. Not cool.

Feb 3, 2012 6:18 PM in response to ACE001

ACE001 wrote:

Having to find this fix was annoying, but to tell you the truth one has to expect some bugs with a new update, especially a new update on a new program. With FCP 10.0.3 there is this problem with having to re-render, but it seems like many of us now have a fix. Despite this, I still think the new update is phenomenal. I'm reading all over the internet that high-end users and calling the new multicam feature 'the best of any nonlinear editing software'. It may be a bit too early to say that so boldly, but still, it does say something. The advanced keyer is nice, as well as the automatic Project backup, the ability to relink media, some changes to the Color Board and the Scopes, and a few changes in Preferences. I think FCP X has come far in the last seven months, and we certainly haven't seen the last update.

As far as pros being 'PO'd' at Apple for this, to tell you the truth any pro who would completely abandon his or her old software and workflow for the brand new and relatively untested FCP X is just asking for trouble, and should really just be 'PO' at themselves. I do get paid to edit with FCP X --and overall I love the program-- but I don't have clients knocking down my door (yet), so I do still have some time to troubleshoot a few hiccups. If I had more business last June I would not have completely dumped FCP 7 for FCP X right off the bat.

I am a high end user. This update is a huge step BACK because of other major issues that cloud the new "features." A lot of the so called great reviews are articles just read off the contents of the notes.

I for one dont need a lecture what "any pro should or should not do" . THIS particular update reconverts the files so they become incompatible with previous versions. So for sure I will go through all the trouble to reinstall the previous version and use backups of all my previous stuff. But what an outrageous process when seeing the advertising of "performance improvement and stability" LOL!

THIS IS NOT A COMMENT ABOUT FCPX - ITS ONE ABOUT A JUMP FROM ONE VERSION TO A NEW ONE AND TWO STEPS BACK IN A WHOLE LOT OF PERFORMANCE AREAS. PRO OR NOT (I AM) WHY DONT SOME GET THAT.

Geeeeez!

FCPX 10.0.3 disaster!! rendered text file nightmare...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.