Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder cannot preview prores files.

I just purchased a new iMac with Lion 10.7.2.

In Snow Leopard (on an older machine) I was able to preview prores files directly in finder by pressing spacebar. With Lion, finder just keeps searching for a solution and never finds one. I can see the files if I open them in Quicktime, but having at least a thumbnail would save a lot of time.

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Feb 1, 2012 9:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2012 10:43 PM

Re the thumbnails, open View Options for the folder holding the docs - with the folder open, press Command-J or select Show View Options from the View menu. In the View Options screen, checkmark the item "Show item preview".

The Desktop counts as a folder for this purpose.

19 replies

Mar 6, 2012 10:36 AM in response to bjolet

I have the same problem. Professional video editor, been using Snow Leopard since it came out, never had a problem previewing or "quick-looking" ProRes Quicktime files within the Finder, but as soon as I upgraded to Lion this function no longer worked.

I read in another thread that re-installing Lion fixed this problem, but a new install on my machine failed to restore ProRes Finder preview functionality.

Thought that maybe Lion was hoarding RAM, so I upgraded my 4GB on my MacBook Pro to the maximum 8GB. Still doesn't work.

Anyone else having this problem?

Any solutions?

Mar 6, 2012 12:19 PM in response to Max Nova1

Try a test on one of the files.

After making sure the folder it is in has its View Options set to Show Icon Preview, select one of the files and do a Get Info (Command-I) on it. Click the icon in the upper left of the Get Info window. Then see if Clear is available in the Edit menu. If it is, select it.

Lion does not handle some program-generated previews well. By clearing such an item, which the above action accomplishes, it makes way for Finder to use its function to show a thumbnail.

Mar 8, 2012 12:09 PM in response to Don Archibald

The problem isn't the file's icon, which is clearly visible (in this case a Quicktime movie icon), it's the ability to view it by pressing the spacebar while in the Finder (what is commonly referred to as "Quick Look" - same as in Mail).

This problem only occurs with ProRes files; all other Quicktime formats Quick Look in the Finder just fine. ProRes used to as well in Snow Leopard and all previous versions of OS X, it's only since upgrading to Lion that this no longer works.

It's worth adding that the ProRes Quicktime component is still in the Quicktime folder in the Library, and ProRes files still open in Quicktime 7, Quicktime X, Final Cut Pro Studio 3, and iTunes.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Max

Aug 9, 2012 11:50 AM in response to bjolet

I'm actually having the same issue, but only since I've updated to Moutain Lion. I run a video production company and I have 19 brand new iMacs all with the same issue. Below is an example of how the Apple Prores 422 file is as an icon, in the Info window and in QuickLook. The movie plays back fine in Quicktime 10 and the file was created in FCPX. Even files from FCP7 do the same.

User uploaded file

This slows down production when searching though files. Please help.

Aug 16, 2012 4:00 PM in response to bjolet

I'm experiencing this too, I've got all the relevant codecs in the ~/Library/Quicktime folder but still can't use quicklook on any ProRes files.

AC3MovieImport.component

AppleAVCIntraCodec.component

AppleHDVCodec.component

AppleIntermediateCodec.component

AppleMPEG2Codec.component

AppleProResCodec.component

DesktopVideoOut.component

DVCPROHDCodec.component

DVCPROHDMuxer.component

DVCPROHDVideoDigitizer.component

DVCPROHDVideoOutput.component

DVCPROHDVideoOutputClock.component

DVCPROHDVideoOutputCodec.component

FCP Uncompressed 422.component

iChatTheaterPreview.component

IMXCodec.component

LiveType.component

Perian.component

Fun

Aug 16, 2012 5:22 PM in response to bjolet

Hi all,

I'm the original poster and I finally figured it out: a little Div-X app I had on my computer was the culprit. Once I deleted that the preview powers of the Finder were fully restored.

The catch is that I figured this out a while ago and forgot what the name of the app was. But I do know it was Div-X related for sure, and that I hardly ever used it (thus not knowing its name) and I certainly don't miss it.

So I'd advise you try tossing any / all non-native video applications and see if that does the trick. Worked for me!

Finder cannot preview prores files.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.