Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Final Cut Express 4.0.1 Not Asking to Auto-conform?

Here's the story -

I make videos for YouTube all the time, I currently film with a Canon Rebel T2i at 1920x1080 at 30fps. When I import my footage, I use MPEG Streamclip to convert it to Apple Intermediate Codec at 100% quality, and "1920x1080 (unscaled)". I never specify a framerate, it usually does it on its own. Whenever I put that footage into Final Cut Express (4.0.1), I drag it into the timeline and it asks me if I want to change the sequence settings to match the settings of that clip, and I always click yes, and it always works fine. However, today I wanted to try out some new settings on my T2i, and the ONLY different thing I did was change from 1920x1080 30fps to 1920x1080 24fps (and also changed some color settings to make it easier to color correct, but that should have no effect). I put the SD card into my computer, as I always do, put the footage into MPEG Streamclip, as I always do, changed the settings to Apple Intermediate Codec, 1920x1080 (unscaled), 100% quality, and no specified framerate, as I always do. The clip imported fine, as it always does. I put it into Final Cut, made a new project, opened the new sequence in the timline, and dragged my clip in. But I got no message asking to change the sequence settings, and the clip was in a square canvas, instead of changing to the normal setting one, which is wide. The quality was also highly reduced. This was abnormal for me, so I tried making a new sequence and importing an old 1920x1080 30fps clip, and sure enough the message popped up asking me to change the sequence settings. It worked fine, but then I tried again in a new sequence to import the NEW clip, and the popup ceased to appear again. I tried restarting my computer, reimporting the clip, checking for Final Cut updates, everything, to no avail. I just can't seem to get the new settings' clip to work.

My question is - why isn't Final Cut working with this clip's minor framerate change, and how do I get it to work again?

Thanks.

P.S. - I've tried looking in the preferences (editing tab) and checking the box to "Always"or "Ask", neither have made anything different.

Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Feb 2, 2012 4:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 2, 2012 7:27 AM

Final Cut Express does not support 24fps video, and never has. And it cannot convert 24fps to other frame rates. If you try using 24fps material in FCE you will get unpredictable behavior, as you have experienced.

You would have to convert 24fps material outside FCE before importing the video. It may also be possible to use Nattress Standards Conversion however using that in FCE requires some undocumented workarounds.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 2, 2012 7:27 AM in response to NBB65

Final Cut Express does not support 24fps video, and never has. And it cannot convert 24fps to other frame rates. If you try using 24fps material in FCE you will get unpredictable behavior, as you have experienced.

You would have to convert 24fps material outside FCE before importing the video. It may also be possible to use Nattress Standards Conversion however using that in FCE requires some undocumented workarounds.

Final Cut Express 4.0.1 Not Asking to Auto-conform?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.