Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I NEED Scroll Arrows

I've searched this site for a place to directly hound the software engineers at Apple about this issue, so if there is such a place, forgive me.

But after reading thread after thread about the lack of scrolling arrows without any sort of resolution or even so much as a peep from Apple, perhaps my only recourse is to clog their board with YET ANOTHER "Give me back my scroll arrows" thread.

Maybe the folks who moderate these boards have a way to contact the appropriate folks at Apple unavailable to the simple consumer like myself. I'm sure they're not thrilled to see another one of these threads pop up.

PLEASE GIVE US BACK OUR SCROLL ARROWS. Could it really have been worth all the time spent coding away something whose removal has nearly ZERO tangible gain???

Signed,

Miffed in MacVille

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Feb 2, 2012 6:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 2, 2012 7:26 AM

Nobody from Apple is reading your request.

The best way to contact Apple is here: http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

Or here: http://bugreport.apple.com

I think the chances of the scroll arrows returning to Lion is nil at this point. You can, like I did, return to Snow Leopard if Lion irritates you too much.

61 replies

Feb 2, 2012 8:57 AM in response to Darko Ibrahimpasic1

Darko,

While it's clear you do not need them, I do. And many other users do, too. Simply do a search for "scroll arrows" on these forums and you'll find quite a few users who use them quite frequently.

Obviously, WhiteHusky, I disagree with your assessment that Apple made the "right decision" to do away with them. One, why was there even a "decision" to be made in the first place? Were they really eating up THAT much screen real estate to deem a need to remove them?

But more importantly, why is there no option, at all, to add them back in if I so choose like there is with the "Show Scroll Bars Always." It seems such a simple thing to include them with the scroll bars when I choose that option from System Preferences. And wouldn't Apple assume if I'm choosing to show my scroll bars all the time that I would prefer to regain 100% of the functionality of the prior scrolling system, not just part of it?

If 90% of you Mac users have no need for them, that's great. But what of the 10% who DO? Are we simply relegated to do as Kiraly did and roll back to Snow Leopard, an operating system that will undoubtedly cease being supported in the near future?

Feb 2, 2012 9:03 AM in response to James Curle

James, don't listen to those who tell you Apple does not read these forums. They do. They just don't reply (and they are unlikely to care too, unless people like you do keep hounding them about it).

I do agree with Kiraly on one point though: best solution is go back to Snow Leopard. Most advanced OS in the world (with nearly 250 useless Lion features removed... 🙂 ).

Feb 2, 2012 9:14 AM in response to James Curle

Here's another trick, which works with varying degrees of sensitivity depending on what program you're in:

Put your cursor near the bottom of the scroll bar where the scroll bar arrows would be, hold down the 'option' key and click. The scroll bar will move in small(-ish) increments.

Works well in Finder, not so much in Safari, but then again you can use the cursor keys in your browser anyway.

Feb 2, 2012 9:16 AM in response to TheSmokeMonster

Smoke,

I appreciate your reply. Yes, I often use the magic mouse to scroll inactive windows in the background, and better than half the time it works fine.

But there are times when a job calls for a sledgehammer and times when a job calls for a something more precise. Scrolling background windows with the magic mouse, particularly in Adobe CS5 software, can be imprecise at best, often downright clunky. If I need to quickly jump from page 1 to page 20 in a document, yes, the magic mouse works just fine. But if I'm trying to get the next line--and just the next line--visible, it's a chore of overscrolling, then scrolling back, only to overscrolling in the wrong direction, requiring further scrolling to get to that precise line. All that, when a simple, single click on the down arrow would do the trick.

Perhaps I'm talking Greek to those of you with no use for them, or those who consider questioning the design principles of the Apple software engineers blasphemy. And I'll agree, the windows do look cleaner without them.

But in my world--where form follows function, not the other way around--it's a step in the wrong direction.

Feb 2, 2012 9:18 AM in response to TheSmokeMonster

TheSmokeMonster wrote:

james, as long as the cursor is over the window you can manipulate the scrolling with gestures without making the window active. It just works.

Just wanted to let you know that.

Actually that doesn't always work. If the active window is an apple program (e.g., Safari) and the non-active window is not an apple program (e.g, if it is MS Word), the non-active window won't scroll. If Word is active, you can make both Word and a non-active Safari window scroll, but not the other way around.

I NEED Scroll Arrows

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.