5 Replies Latest reply: Aug 10, 2012 7:33 PM by plsfixit
Protectserve Level 1 Level 1

I have used Tascam for quite a while, but they are not offering drivers for Lion. I don't want Apogee. What are good alternatives?

Mac mini (Mid 2010), Mac OS X (10.7.2)
Reply by Walter Wedler on Feb 2, 2012 6:44 PM Helpful
I researched this for a friend 3 month ago. The only reasonable priced company up to date with drivers was PreSonus (FireStudio Project 8 inputs $400), they have smaler units too. Evrybody else is dragging their tales with drivers unless you want to go (slower USB) I have Alesis iO|25 great firewire interface, stay away! No driver-upkeep at all. I only buy from a company with regular driver updates. I wish Apple would take over on that.     Good luck.                   W.W.

All replies

• Walter Wedler Level 2 Level 2
    expertise.desktops
    Desktops

I researched this for a friend 3 month ago. The only reasonable priced company up to date with drivers was

PreSonus (FireStudio Project 8 inputs $400), they have smaler units too. Evrybody else is dragging their tales with drivers unless you want to go (slower USB) I have Alesis iO|25 great firewire interface, stay away! No driver-upkeep at all. I only buy from a company with regular driver updates. I wish Apple would take over on that.     Good luck.

W.W.

• Protectserve Level 1 Level 1

Thx for the quick reply. I have been doing research and you confirmed what I had found out: It is either Apogee (expensive and few inputs) or Presonus (seems like best option for me).

• plsfixit Level 1 Level 1

MOTU and UA. MOTU seems to believe in diligence when it comes to supporting their legacy products. Good price/quality ratio. 828 mk3, 828 mk3 ultralight and the new TRACK16 are all great products.  if you need more preamps the 8pre is a nice addition UA is creating the thunderbolt interface with the apollo. SHould be nice. I don't work for either company but I wish I could afford one of them because my tascam fw1082 is useless now. Why does logic have it listed in the controlers now? Presonus just pulled a tascam and dropped support for a bunch on the FW interfaces. they list it on their website.

• Alfredo Jahn Level 3 Level 3

I noticed that these did not have a fantom power switch. Is that no longer used? My FastTrack has that...

• plsfixit Level 1 Level 1

motus have phantom power for the mic pre'd channels