Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My tenants ppc g4 running OS10.2.8 will airport extreme be a problem?

I have a AX Base Station and we got him an Airort card that show as up on his tower but his OS doesn't have all the network assist software like set up assistant, will we have any problem connecting him to my WiFi?

Posted on Feb 2, 2012 9:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 3, 2012 10:41 AM

Depends which machine and operating system he has.

Airport Extreme understands 802.11g and 802.11b on PowerPC Macs. If the Airport card in the machine is Extreme, you can hook it up to a base station running 802.11g with WPA2. If the Airport card is an original, you will have to setup the wireless network to include 802.11b, and you won't be able to secure it with anything but WEP or the original WPA, and that's relatively weak. You could also hook it up via hte LAN port of the Airport Extreme so as not to slow down 802.11g/n devices already on the network, or force them to use a weaker security. See this article on what Airport supports what machine:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1621

The image on the above article is the non-Extreme original 802.11b card.

19 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 3, 2012 10:41 AM in response to armpit

Depends which machine and operating system he has.

Airport Extreme understands 802.11g and 802.11b on PowerPC Macs. If the Airport card in the machine is Extreme, you can hook it up to a base station running 802.11g with WPA2. If the Airport card is an original, you will have to setup the wireless network to include 802.11b, and you won't be able to secure it with anything but WEP or the original WPA, and that's relatively weak. You could also hook it up via hte LAN port of the Airport Extreme so as not to slow down 802.11g/n devices already on the network, or force them to use a weaker security. See this article on what Airport supports what machine:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1621

The image on the above article is the non-Extreme original 802.11b card.

Feb 9, 2012 1:25 AM in response to a brody

It was tricky identifying his G4PPC (400 Mhz) but it has a Airport card slot and I'm under the impression it only fits the Airport Extreme Card (fit perfectly) not the first generation card, right?

He is running OSX 10.2.8 The signal shows up on his desktop. I believe he can update his OS up to 10.4, would that have any baring on connection to Airport?

Feb 9, 2012 2:35 AM in response to armpit

Extreme didn't become available until most machines were at least 1 Ghz. That slot would only fit an original Airport card, not extreme. Unfortunately those cards could only do 802.11b and WEP or the original WPA. Get an ethernet router with built in WIFI and that way you can run the g4 to the LAN port of the router, and not sacrifice speed or security of your wireless.

Feb 9, 2012 12:41 PM in response to a brody

I didn't intend to put words in your mouth, it was my impression that the slot for the Airport Extreme Card would only fit that card, and didn't think, from looking at illustrations of them that they would be interchangeable. So they are interchangeable? Good to know, too late, but good never the less. Anyone know if that PPC can be updated to OS 10.4?

Feb 9, 2012 12:58 PM in response to armpit

a brody said they are NOT, repeat NOT interchangeable!!!! What part of NOT do you not understand?

Requirements for Tiger:

To use Mac OS X v10.4, your Macintosh needs:

• A PowerPC G3, G4, or G5 processor
  • Built-in FireWire
  • At least 256 MB of RAM
  • DVD drive (DVD-ROM), Combo (CD-RW/DVD-ROM) or SuperDrive (DVD-R) for installation
  • At least 3 GB of free disk space; 4 GB if you install the XCode 2 Developer Tools

User uploaded file

Feb 9, 2012 3:49 PM in response to armpit

The original AirPort Card and the AirPort Extreme Card are NOT interchangeable.

Check out this article on which iMacs use which of the cards.

When the article says "AirPort Extreme is backwards-compatible with AirPort, and works in much the same way," it does not mean that either card will work, only that the AirPort Extreme Card is backward-compatible with earlier 802.11b AirPort networks.

Wedging an incompatible card into a computer that needs the other type can render the computer unusable.

Feb 10, 2012 2:37 AM in response to Ronda Wilson

Thank you all for your imput unfortunately, and leading to you getting testy, we're talking about two different things. When I used the phrase interchangeable I didn't mean I thought it a good idea that they swap out as a practice running

Function, I MEANT PHYSICALLY THEY DON'T LOOK LIKE THEY COULD PLUG INTO EACH OTHERS SLOTS, AND THERE FOR I EXPRESSED SURPRISE THAT A NEW GEN AIRPORT CARD WOULD PLUG INTO THAT SLOT ASIF IT WERE DESIGNED TO DO PRECISLY THAT. DO YOU FEEL ME? Again, I have ADHD and it can be tedious for overachievers to interface with functionally different people but I didn't intentionally annoy. So except for the fact that it's a bad idea and can damage the older ppc the slots are modular? I'll assume that has been confirmed. Thanks

Feb 10, 2012 2:55 AM in response to armpit

Copy paste into a word processor and underline every word, and make sure you comprehend what each word mewns. If that is too difficult, ask someone to come in the room and help you. You are in no position to help another person's computer if you ignore important easy to understand words ss not in help psges.

Feb 10, 2012 6:11 AM in response to armpit

armpit wrote:

Thank you all for your imput unfortunately, and leading to you getting testy

I am not getting testy. I merely wish to emphasize, since you are still apparently not getting it, that a new generation AirPort Card cannot be used in an older computer's AirPort Card slot. It won't work, and will damage the older computer, perhaps to the point of the computer no longer functioning AT ALL, since it can damage the logic board to which the AirPort Card slot is connected.

we're talking about two different things. When I used the phrase interchangeable I didn't mean I thought it a good idea that they swap out as a practice running Function,

I don't even know what "a practice running Function" means.

I MEANT PHYSICALLY THEY DON'T LOOK LIKE THEY COULD PLUG INTO EACH OTHERS SLOTS

They can't; not successfully. Others have managed to cram a newer AirPort Extreme Card into the slot for the original AirPort Card and that has totally killed the whole computer.

AND THERE FOR I EXPRESSED SURPRISE THAT A NEW GEN AIRPORT CARD WOULD PLUG INTO THAT SLOT ASIF IT WERE DESIGNED TO DO PRECISLY THAT. DO YOU FEEL ME?

Are you getting the point not to do that (not to plug an AirPort Extreme Card into an older slot meant for an original AirPort Card)? I can't tell from your wording? Do you get this message? My emphasis was to, hopefully, get the message across LOUD AND CLEAR, since you didn't seem to be getting it from anyone else's post.

Again, I have ADHD and it can be tedious for overachievers to interface with functionally different people but I didn't intentionally annoy. So except for the fact that it's a bad idea and can damage the older ppc the slots are modular? I'll assume that has been confirmed. Thanks

It can be tedious when someone words things in such a manner that it sounds as though the message is falling on deaf ears (or blind eyes, as the case may be). Are you getting it? Determine which iMac or Mac (since you're posting in the iMac forum, but say that your tenant has a "tower" — which is NOT an iMac, we can't even tell for sure what kind of Mac this is), and which of the two AirPort Cards it needs. We can help you determine this, but we need your help to do it. If you can tell us exactly which exact model Mac or iMac it is, we will be able to tell you which version of AirPort Card is the correct one.

It is very frustrating for all of us. We are trying to keep you from making the disastrous mistake of installing the wrong type of AirPort Card in whatever computer this may be. We are trying to save a Mac here. Please help us help you.

My tenants ppc g4 running OS10.2.8 will airport extreme be a problem?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.