Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Radeon HD 5770's mini displayports not working

I installed the Apple 5770 card in my Mac Pro 3,1. Works great with my monitor on the DVI port. However I have a second monitor and it won't work on either of the mini displayports. I've tried the displayport -> DVI adapter, and the displayport -> HDMI adapter. I've also tried putting both monitors on the displayports with adapters. The only configuration that works is 1 monitor on the DVI port. Any ideas on this?

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Feb 2, 2012 11:41 AM

23 replies

Feb 2, 2012 12:31 PM in response to mindlube

If the monitor has a resolution greater than 1920 x 1200 you need a dual link DVI adapter.

Also check your display system preferences to see if the second monitor is even being detected (look at arrangement) and you may need to click Detect Displays and set the proper resolution. If the monitor is detected click Gather Windows to get the display preferences for all the monitors on to your main monitor.

Feb 2, 2012 1:21 PM in response to X423424X

Huh! now I'm not sure. I run a 30" and two 24"s on a 5770 card. I got another regular mini DVI adapter for the third monitor from apple at $29.99. That didn't work. I went to Fry's Electronics and got an "active" mini DVI adapter for $9.95 at that time. That didn't work. After reading forums I went and got a second active DVI adapter, for another $9.95.

I found that if I wanted to run 3 monitors on high resolution I had to get two active adapters, not one passive and one active, plus the regular DVI out.

Now I don't know what the difference is with a "dual link adapter" compared to an "active" adapter, but my $9.95 x 2 solution worked.

Feb 2, 2012 1:50 PM in response to Wayne of America

For three monitors on a 5x70 card, yes, you need two active adapters. For DVI you only need dual link for resolutions greater than 1920 x 1200. 24"s only require single link so that is probably what you are using, i.e., single link active DVI adapters (see below). I assume you have the 30" in the DVI port of the 5770.

For info about DVI here's a helpful article:

All About DVI

For info about the active vs. passive adapter requirements for 5x70 cards here's apple's articles:

Mac Pro (Early 2009), Mac Pro (Mid 2010): Supported display configurations

Mac Pro (Mid 2010), Mac Pro (Early 2009): Issues with three displays and multiple DVI, HDMI connections

And for a chart of the various passive and active adapters for 5x70's:

AMD Eyefinity Validated Dongles

Presumably you got something from that list or something compatible with one of those on the list (mini displayport to single link DVI active adapters). Single link adapters are relatively cheap. It's the dual link active's that are more expensive due to the handling of additional power requirements. That's why the dual link adapter I referenced has two plugs. One is for the mini-displayport. The other is USB to supply the additional power to the adapter.

Feb 7, 2012 6:28 AM in response to mindlube

Hi, I have a similar issue.

I have got 2 Samsung 23" monitors with 1920x1080 resolutions and a 27" Apple Cinema Display.

I have bought a Ati 5770 card, however the Monitor running from the DVI does not register with the computer (Mac Pro 1,1 Quad 2Ghz).

If I was to replace the apple mdp to dvi with an Active mdp to dvi adapter, could that potentially solve my problem?

Many Thanks

Paul

May 18, 2012 7:41 AM in response to mindlube

I have a similar problem, but the circumstances suggest a problem with MacOSX 10.7.x.

I have a MacPro model 5,1 with a Radeon HD 5770 card. This machine has 2 hard drives. One (the original) is set up to boot with MacOSX 10.6. The other is set up to boot with MacOSX 10.7. I can choose which one to boot from at startup by pressing the option key at the chime.

I

May 18, 2012 8:41 AM in response to Richard Bryan

Somehow my post got sent before I finished writing it.

Here is what I intended to post:

I have a similar problem, but the circumstances suggest a problem with MacOSX 10.7.x.

I have a MacPro model 5,1 with a Radeon HD 5770 card. This machine has 2 hard drives. One (the original) is set up to boot with MacOSX 10.6. The other is set up to boot with MacOSX 10.7.4. I can choose which one to boot from at startup by pressing the option key at the chime.

I needed to be able to view the screen on the TV in the next room, so I got a NewerTech mini displayport to HDMI adapter. This works well, but only under 10.6.

When booted with 10.6, the system profiler shows the following for Graphics/Displays:

ATI Radeon HD 5770:

Chipset Model: ATI Radeon HD 5770

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

Slot: Slot-1

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 1024 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x68b8

Revision ID: 0x0000

ROM Revision: 113-C0160C-155

EFI Driver Version: 01.00.436

Displays:

SHARP HDMI:

Resolution: 1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: On

Mirror Status: Master Mirror

Online: Yes

Rotation: Supported

Interlaced: Yes

Television: Yes

Cinema Display:

Resolution: 1680 x 1050

Mirror: On

Mirror Status: Hardware Mirror

Display Connector:

Note that there are 3 entries under Displays. One of these is an unused mini displayport output.

When booted with 10.7.4, the system profiler shows the following for Graphics/Displays:

ATI Radeon HD 5770:

Chipset Model: ATI Radeon HD 5770

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

Slot: Slot-1

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 1024 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x68b8

Revision ID: 0x0000

ROM Revision: 113-C0160C-155

EFI Driver Version: 01.00.436

Displays:

Cinema Display:

Resolution: 1680 x 1050

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Note that there is only one entry under Displays. There isn't even any indication that the card has more than one output.

I know that there is nothing wrong with the hardware because I can switch back and forth between the OS's. The mini displayports are recognized in 10.6.8. They are not recognized in 10.7.4.

This looks like a bug in the display driver in 10.7.

Anyone have any ideas how to fix this?

Thanks for any insights.

Radeon HD 5770's mini displayports not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.