Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When will Apple patch security update 2012-001?

I can no longer use BBEdit, Audacity, Canvas, or Quicken.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Feb 2, 2012 12:00 PM

46 replies

Feb 2, 2012 3:31 PM in response to Tuckahoegl

Howdy,

Apparently some are reporting that this causes the older PowerPC (PPC) applications that are supported in 10.6 via 'Rosetta' to crash upon attempting to open/save/print using any dialog box, or fail in other similar ways such as simply not printing or quitting, or freezing/hanging/crashing of the application.

You might wish to read:

http://www.macintouch.com/readerreports/snowleopard/index.html#d02feb2012

If you are unsure if you are still using PowerPC apps, if the application is currently running, look under the 'Activity Monitior' (in Applications -> Utilities), or alternatively you could check in the System Profiler, Applications. Check the column "Type".

Here is a fairly simple way you can restore you system and restore you applications functionality again, if you don't have a recent clone or good Time Machine backup that you can restore from. If you do, restore from your backup prior to having installed the Security Update 2012-001.

Time Machine restore: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1427

If you are restoring a backup made by a Mac to the same Mac

With your backup drive connected, start up your Mac from the Lion recovery partition (Command-R at startup) or Mac OS X v10.6 installation disc. Then use the "Restore From Time Machine Backup" utility. Select the backup prior to your issues, and it will be restored back to the state it was in at that time.

--

If you can't easily restore from a backup, you can instead do the following:

- You first start by reinstalling your OS X 10.6.x, this will preserve all your user data, your applications, no worries there.

- Then install the Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update Combo v1.1 (links provided below)

- Make sure you're printers are showing up correctly in your system preferences, if not, re-add the printers

- Then finally, run the Apple Software Update (by pulling down the Apple Menu), and install any and all remaining updates, except do not then re-install the Security Update 2012-001. It is possible that you may have to reboot after installing some of the updates, and you may even need to run it a 2nd time to make sure that you've got all updates, except NOT the Security Update 2012-001.

Links for 10.6.8 Update Combo v1.1:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1399

or the link to directly download this 1.09GB combo updater:

http://support.apple.com/downloads/DL1399/en_US/MacOSXUpdCombo10.6.8.dmg

Cheers,

Daniel Feldman

=======================

MacMind

Certified Member of the

Apple Consultants Network

Apple Certified (ACHDS)

E-mail: Dan@MacMind.com

Phone: 1-408-454-6649

URL : www.MacMind.com

=======================

Feb 2, 2012 4:38 PM in response to Daniel Feldman

The ramifications of this "Security Update" are ridiculous and outrageous! Apple has a responsiblity for causing this situation and they should be held accountable for providing a fix for it, period. The 10.6.8 update is a problem for far too many people for this to be left to individuals to correct. Come on Apple, you are better than this!?

Feb 2, 2012 4:47 PM in response to Daniel Feldman

>- You first start by reinstalling your OS X 10.6.x, this will preserve all your user data, your applications, no worries there.

Good advice, except this line. Some people may already have a damaged system because they like to use maintenance tools that clean system caches. I would at very minimum clone backup my data before doing the "downgrade", just in case it fails to downgrade. See my backup FAQ*:

http://www.macmaps.com/backup.html

I would also recommend if you are part of the Consultant Networks, to inform your Apple rep of this issue, and find someone who has this issue submit a bug report to http://bugreporter.apple.com/ after signing up for http://developer.apple.com/ for a free online account.

Feb 2, 2012 5:06 PM in response to a brody

Howdy a brody,

I really like your backup FAQ: See my backup FAQ*: http://www.macmaps.com/backup.html

And I also like your idea of doing a backup/clone BEFORE doing the downgrade, and I would take it even further, just as you should probably do a full backup and/or clone prior to DOING ANYTHING that is installing/updating/upgrading/downgrading, etc..., so that you have a way back to restore a working system in case anything goes wrong.

However, I'm not sure I agree about your line about "Some people may already have a damaged system because they like to use maintenance tools that clean system caches.", first of all, caches, by their definition and name, imply that caches are temporary NON NECESSARY files, and very few folks are running system cache cleaning utilities (not talking about user caches, although even that is relatively rarely done by anyone that isn't an IT/tech/consultant type of person). I'm sure there can be exceptions to any rule, but I've never heard of that happening.

In general, most folks can safely re-install their OS, and they can even choose to first run a directory verify/repair, permissions repair, and many more things too, but generally speaking those are not needed, and if someone is desperate to get their system working again, might be overkill and/or take too much time for their business/work to wait.

I personally would prefer to do all best practices as much as possible, and thus eliminate as much risk as possible, and move forward slowly, cautiously, and carefully. I would never install an update or upgrade that is brand new, and generally not for at least a month or so until it's be out, reviewed, bugs found, issues identified, work-arounds and/or fixes documented, etc...

There is also the old adage : "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", which can really help prevent issues before they occur.

Finally, although I am in the Apple Consultant's Network, we do not have an 'Apple Rep' that we can report bugs to, as Apple has other methods and channels for such, as you so wonderfully posted their links to do so, which ANYONE can, and should feel free to do and post any legitimate bugs they find: "http://bugreporter.apple.com/ after signing up for http://developer.apple.com/ for a free online account."

I've also seen several business posting on their official web sites indicating that they have indeed already submitted bug reports on this very issue. Hopefully the issue is being looked into already.

Cheers,

Daniel Feldman

=======================

MacMind

Certified Member of the

Apple Consultants Network

Apple Certified (ACHDS)

E-mail: Dan@MacMind.com

Phone: 1-408-454-6649

URL : www.MacMind.com

=======================

Feb 2, 2012 5:56 PM in response to Tuckahoegl

Backup files off the computer (not TimeMachine) and disconnect.

If you have TM, or a option key bootable clone use that to erase and restore from.

If not, c boot off the 10.6 disk, use Disk Utility to >Repair Disk and Permissions, (do not format or erase!!) and simply re--install 10.6

Note: If Disk Repair gives a error that is not repaired, then you have to consider erasing the drive (with Zeros) and try reinstalling 10.6 fresh or replacing the drive.

Reboot and log in, update to 10.6.8, it should not include the security update at this time (second pass it might show) because it was just released and they might need to pull it. (they need to pull it)

When you reboot, make sure to reinstall any programs that installed kext files into OS X, you'll know, they won't work.

If you get gray screen, hold the shift key and update your installed software so it's compatible with 10.6.8.

Learn how to clone here

http://www.bombich.com/get_ready_for_lion.html

TM help here

http://pondini.org/OSX/Home.html

Learn how to make copies of your 10.6 disks here

http://www.walterjessen.com/make-a-bootable-backup-snow-leopard-install-disc/

Learn how to make a bootable SL USB

http://www.maciverse.com/install-os-x-snow-leopard-from-usb-flash-drive.html

Learn which programs ARE NOT compatible with Lion

http://roaringapps.com/apps:table

Long live the Snow Leopard. 🙂

Feb 2, 2012 7:09 PM in response to Daniel Feldman

Daniel Feldman wrote:

I've also seen several business posting on their official web sites indicating that they have indeed already submitted bug reports on this very issue. Hopefully the issue is being looked into already.

FWIW, after applying the security update AppleWorks consistently crashes on my Macs if I try to print from it, producing a crash report that I allow to be automatically sent to Apple. Since it sends the crash log, it's probably quite useful to Apple. If a lot of users have the auto crash report feature enabled in Snow Leopard, Apple is probably getting lots of reports.

BTW, the Snow Leopard installer does the equivalent of Disk Utility's Verify Disk on the target volume for the install, so it isn't necessary to do a repair before reinstalling the OS, as ds store suggested. (If the target volume doesn't pass the verification check, the installer will not try to write the pre-install files to it or continue with the install.) Repairing permissions on the target drive beforehand is a waste of time since permissions are set by the installer & the install process is done by the root user.

Feb 2, 2012 7:25 PM in response to R C-R

R C-R wrote:

BTW, the Snow Leopard installer does the equivalent of Disk Utility's Verify Disk on the target volume for the install, so it isn't necessary to do a repair before reinstalling the OS, as ds store suggested. (If the target volume doesn't pass the verification check, the installer will not try to write the pre-install files to it or continue with the install.)

Unknownst to you perhaps, the 10.6.8 update (not this Security update) has made disk verification fail for a lot of users, myself included on two machines.

So in order to prevent that from coming up, I've just instructed they Repair Disk first before installing 10.6 from disk.

If there is something else unawares going on with the drive, then that will show a alert it wasn't repaired and then the user will be alerted to take action.

Repairing permissions on the target drive beforehand is a waste of time since permissions are set by the installer & the install process is done by the root user.

Yes, but I've included that as a educational step so newbies can do it themselves in the future, it won't harm anything and doesn't take any great lenght of time.

Feb 2, 2012 7:34 PM in response to Daniel Feldman

Daniel Feldman wrote:

However, I'm not sure I agree about your line about "Some people may already have a damaged system because they like to use maintenance tools that clean system caches.", first of all, caches, by their definition and name, imply that caches are temporary NON NECESSARY files, and very few folks are running system cache cleaning utilities (not talking about user caches, although even that is relatively rarely done by anyone that isn't an IT/tech/consultant type of person). I'm sure there can be exceptions to any rule, but I've never heard of that happening.

a brody I believe is against the cleaning of any caches.

I think this stemmed from a rampant "you need to do this and that" fever that gripped Mac users at once time into un-needed maintenance tasks when OS X clearly only needs it when there is a problem that might be related to a corrupt cache file.

My consensus is if a user has a strange issue, clearing all the caches may actually work and won't hurt the machine as caches are empty when they first get it, I recommend OnyX for OS X as it's been tried and true, very stable releases.

So only recommend cache clearing as a troubleshoot and privacy step, not something that has to be done routinely, despite the small performance benefits.

Feb 2, 2012 8:08 PM in response to ds store

ds store wrote:

Unknownst to you perhaps, the 10.6.8 update (not this Security update) has made disk verification fail for a lot of users, myself included on two machines.

That's a bit backwards: updates don't make disk verifications fail, they just reveal problems with the file system.

But regardless, there is little point in doing a disk or permissions repair if you are going to install or reinstall Snow Leopard. In the unlikely event that there is a problem with the file system the installer will stop without writing anything to the drive. If that occurs you can then try the repair as a troubleshooting step.

Otherwise it is just one of those unneeded maintenance tasks you complained about.

Feb 2, 2012 9:48 PM in response to R C-R

R C-R wrote:

That's a bit backwards: updates don't make disk verifications fail, they just reveal problems with the file system.

Go ahead and install 10.6.8 (without this security update) and then verify the disk, surprise, surprise. 🙂

Perhaps this security update is intended to fix the 10.6.8 issue but then borked Roseeta? LOL.

In the unlikely event that there is a problem with the file system the installer will stop without writing anything to the drive. If that occurs you can then try the repair as a troubleshooting step.

Well I was attempting to eliminate that possibility and have them Repair Disk before reinstalling as to save me having to tell them if it should occur.

You might be thinking a one on one assist method.

But with a problem this large in scale, I'm thinking addressing a hundred or thousands of people with a one time instruction, paste and go.

Feb 2, 2012 9:53 PM in response to ds store

ds store wrote:

Go ahead and install 10.6.8 (without this security update) and then verify the disk, surprise, surprise. 🙂

Are you confusing permissions & disk verifications, or maybe confusing installing & updating the OS?

I don't see the relevance of your comment to the topic of this discussion.

Feb 2, 2012 10:06 PM in response to R C-R

R C-R wrote:

ds store wrote:

Are you confusing permissions & disk verifications, or maybe confusing installing & updating the OS?

I don't see the relevance of your comment to the topic of this discussion.

On a blank machine, install 10.6 then update to 10.6.8 then run a Disk Verification and you'll likely be told you need to Repair Disk.

So what your saying if a user goes and c boots to install 10.6, the Disk Verify kicks in and tells them to Repair Disk first.

So instead of them coming back and saying my steps didn't work, I have them Repair Disk ahead of time and save myself the trouble later.

Got it now grasshopper? 😝

Feb 3, 2012 12:59 AM in response to a brody

Since I have been using Time Machine (starting 3 months ago) as my new backup system, would my best bet be to boot from the Snow Leopard disc and restore from Time Machine? I've never done a System restore with Time Machine before? Does it have a place for me to select just the System folder or is that already the only thing it touches when it reverts? My last backup is from yesterday afternoon before I performed the Security Update this morning which affects Rosetta.

Some have recommended simply reinstalling Rosetta using "Pacifist" (whatever that is). Is that a better option or are there other issues with the Security Update besides Rosetta?

Feb 3, 2012 1:30 AM in response to ds store

ds store wrote:

On a blank machine, install 10.6 then update to 10.6.8 then run a Disk Verification and you'll likely be told you need to Repair Disk.

It is in no way likely. Installing the OS on a "blank" machine (whatever that is supposed to mean) doesn't create any file system problems, nor does running an OS updater. The latter can reveal preexisting problems, but it does not magically create them.

So what your saying if a user goes and c boots to install 10.6, the Disk Verify kicks in and tells them to Repair Disk first.

That isn't what I'm saying at all, nor would it be a logical conclusion even if it was likely that installing the update somehow created a need to repair the disk.

When will Apple patch security update 2012-001?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.