Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is the best way to convert mxf files to mov for use in Final Cut 7?

I have mxf files on a hard drive that I need to use in a film that I am editing. What is the best way to convert them to mov files? I have tried many free converters and trial versions of converters. I only get part of the clip or the video plays in fast forward. At this point I am willing to purchase something, but I'm afraid of buying something that won't work.

Thanks to anyone that can give me any advice.

Final Cut Pro 7

Posted on Feb 2, 2012 1:08 PM

8 replies

Feb 2, 2012 1:40 PM in response to leafromgastonia

Where did these MXF files come from? Camera (P2, Canon XF)? Avid Media Composer?

If from a camera, I hope you have the FULL card structure. If so, you can use Log and Transfer...like this:

http://library.creativecow.net/ross_shane/tapeless-workflow_fcp-7/1

If they are from the Canon XF cameras, you will need drivers to get FCP to recognize the files. If they are from Avid...well...let's go there if we need to.

Where did they come from?

What is the best way to convert mxf files to mov for use in Final Cut 7?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.