Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Related Article: Apple security releases

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Has Apple acknowledged the problems with Security Update 2012-001?

I've read a multitude of user forum comments about this update breaking user software, but have not found a single comment by an Apple representative.

OSX-OTHER

Posted on Feb 2, 2012 1:52 PM

10 replies

Feb 2, 2012 3:34 PM in response to Zeugi

Howdy,

Apparently some are reporting that this causes the older PowerPC (PPC) applications that are supported in 10.6 via 'Rosetta' to crash upon attempting to open/save/print using any dialog box, or fail in other similar ways such as simply not printing or quitting, or freezing/hanging/crashing of the application.

I have read of some companies that have indeed submitted proper bug reports to Apple, but that is not a guarantee of a bug-fix being issued.

You might wish to read:

http://www.macintouch.com/readerreports/snowleopard/index.html#d02feb2012

If you are unsure if you are still using PowerPC apps, if the application is currently running, look under the 'Activity Monitior' (in Applications -> Utilities), or alternatively you could check in the System Profiler, Applications. Check the column "Type".

Here is a fairly simple way you can restore you system and restore you applications functionality again, if you don't have a recent clone or good Time Machine backup that you can restore from. If you do, restore from your backup prior to having installed the Security Update 2012-001.

--

Time Machine restore: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1427

If you are restoring a backup made by a Mac to the same Mac

With your backup drive connected, start up your Mac from the Lion recovery partition (Command-R at startup) or Mac OS X v10.6 installation disc. Then use the "Restore From Time Machine Backup" utility. Select the backup prior to your issues, and it will be restored back to the state it was in at that time.

--

If you can't easily restore from a backup, you can instead do the following:

- You first start by reinstalling your OS X 10.6.x, this will preserve all your user data, your applications, no worries there.

- Then install the Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update Combo v1.1 (links provided below)

- Make sure you're printers are showing up correctly in your system preferences, if not, re-add the printers

- Then finally, run the Apple Software Update (by pulling down the Apple Menu), and install any and all remaining updates, except do not then re-install the Security Update 2012-001. It is possible that you may have to reboot after installing some of the updates, and you may even need to run it a 2nd time to make sure that you've got all updates, except NOT the Security Update 2012-001.

Links for 10.6.8 Update Combo v1.1:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1399

or the link to directly download this 1.09GB combo updater:

http://support.apple.com/downloads/DL1399/en_US/MacOSXUpdCombo10.6.8.dmg

Cheers,

Daniel Feldman

=======================

MacMind

Certified Member of the

Apple Consultants Network

Apple Certified (ACHDS)

E-mail: Dan@MacMind.com

Phone: 1-408-454-6649

URL : www.MacMind.com

=======================

Feb 3, 2012 12:35 AM in response to Daniel Feldman

"I have read of some companies that have indeed submitted proper bug reports to Apple, but that is not a guarantee of a bug-fix being issued."

What does this mean?

I hope there will be a bugfix soon!

Didn't Apple test the updates with PPC-applications?

Because of not inluding Rosetta to Lion it was the reason not to update our systems. And now these applications which are really necessary for us doesn't work anymore! (- We are talking about almost 100 Macs running SL!)

I really expect a bugfix soon!

Regards,

Peter

Feb 3, 2012 3:03 PM in response to Zeugi

You will not see an acknowledgement from Apple in these forums. It is reported in a Snow Leopard support forum thread that an Apple tech support person did respond that it is a known issue, and that a fix is in the works. No timeline was given (as expected).

Rumor also has it that replacing the ImageIO.framwork folder from a system folder that did not get the update appied will resolve the problem for PPC apps.

I will be performing this operation on my wife's iMac this evening when I get home. 🙂

Feb 3, 2012 3:25 PM in response to Zeugi

I am a strong proponent of almost everything Apple has ever sold. I wouldn't have a Windows-based computer, and over the past 2 decades, I've purchased almost a dozen various models of Macintosh for my personal and business use. I have come to trust Apple.

As such, the scope of this problem, coupled with the near total lack of acknowledgment or response is very disheartening.

I was successful in restoring my iMac with SuperDuper, as I have been making a bootable clone backup daily for a year or two. But once I had verified that my Rosetta-based software was working again, I checked to see whether the Security Upgrade is still being made available through the Apple website.

How can Apple still be allowing people to download this? The issues have now been public knowledge for 2 days. Whole businesses are reporting that they have lost function of all their computers.

Again, this whole issue is very discouraging.

Feb 3, 2012 5:24 PM in response to Ronald Palmer

http://www.macnn.com/articles/12/02/03/available.via.software.update.for.1068.us ers/

48 hours is pretty good, to me. Ideally they don't release a product with a bug, but realistically this is going to happen from time to time.

How long do you suppose we'll have to wait for companies that rely on their hardware and software for income to actually do something to protect their environments? Oh yeah! Never gonna happen.

Easier to hold someone else responsible and then stand there and tap their collective feet impatiently.

Feb 5, 2012 6:43 AM in response to Zeugi

Howdy,

Apple has now released an updated version 1.1 of the Security Update 2012-001 (v.1.1) that resolves these issues.

New update that resolves Rosetta/PowerPC application issues:

Security Update 2012-001 (v.1.1)

About Security Update 2012-001 (Snow Leopard)

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1489

Version: 2012-001 v.1.1

Download ID: DL1489

License: Update

File Size: 192.73 MB

System Requirements: Mac OS X v10.6.8

Direct link to download stand alone installer:

http://support.apple.com/downloads/DL1489/en_US/SecUpd2012-001Snow.dmg

Details about the security update:

About the security content of OS X Lion v10.7.3 and Security Update 2012-001

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5130

Cheers,

Daniel Feldman

=======================

MacMind

Certified Member of the

Apple Consultants Network

Apple Certified (ACHDS)

<edited by host>

=======================

Feb 5, 2012 8:22 AM in response to Ronald Palmer

Ronald Palmer wrote:

I am a strong proponent of almost everything Apple has ever sold. I wouldn't have a Windows-based computer, and over the past 2 decades, I've purchased almost a dozen various models of Macintosh for my personal and business use. I have come to trust Apple.

As such, the scope of this problem, coupled with the near total lack of acknowledgment or response is very disheartening.

I became disillusioned with the way Apple handles security issues last year when MacDefender appeared in users' downloads folders simultaneously with the introduction of OS X Lion.

I'm now convinced that as it concerns new developments in hardware and software, social networking (not business solutions) are Apple's priorities. And while Apple's user community is outstanding, helpful, open and sharing, Apple tends to pay lip service to security and privacy. Furthermore, Apple's policy to stay tight-lipped about such issues comes across as denial---Apple appears to bury its head in the sand about it---and as a result, Mac users are in the dark and on their own.

So . . . I make it a policy to never download or apply any update unless it is a security update, and I don't do that until I've thoroughly investigated possible outcomes. (Needless to say, I didn't upgrade to Lion. I can't make a living without a computer. I'll stay with Snow Leopard until I can be sure I can still do business after an upgrade.)

It was clear right away there were big problems with Security Update 2012-001 and Snow Leopard.

So I haven't downloaded or applied Security Update 2012-001 yet.

Has Apple acknowledged the problems with Security Update 2012-001?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.