Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Recover Deleted Mac Mail Trash

Is there any way to recover items that were deleted from Trash in Mac Mail Version 5.1? I saw some solutions on the forum but they were from 2007. We are running Lion Version 10.7.2.

I do have a Time Machine backup from a few weeks ago that I can use if there is no other solution. I have never restored anything from Time Machine so any hints would be appreciated. This is on an iMac 2.7 GHz processor.

Thank you in advance!

iPhone 4S, iOS 5

Posted on Feb 2, 2012 4:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 2, 2012 5:30 PM

Mac 101: Time Machine

4 replies

Mar 24, 2016 12:34 AM in response to bv900

1. The screenshot shows how to"undelete" a file. It will be moved back.

User uploaded file

If you simply put files in the Trash you can restore them by opening the Trash (left-click on the Trash icon) and drag the files from the Trash to your Desktop or other desired location.

2. "Time machine" is a built-in backup tool that works with your Mac and an external drive, As the problem you described, I read it. The files deleted in Trash bin could be a different problem which Time machine can't solve. you can read this article and learn more. I hope it will help.

3. If you don't have a Time Machine backup yet, then your best option would probably be uFlysoft Data Recovery for mac software

Dec 26, 2016 1:41 AM in response to Brian R. Beaudoin

If you did not empty the Trash, click on the Trash icon at the right side of the Dockand drag those files to a different location.

If you emptied the Trash, it is more difficult. Typically, when a file is erase, it is not really erased. The space the file occupied become unallocated, so that new data can be written over that space. If new data files have not yet been written over that space, the old data is still there and may be recoverable.

There are utilities specifically for data recovery. For example (I have not used)

http://www.prosofteng.com/products/data_rescue.php

Other more general utilities, such as TechTool Pro by Micromat, have a data recovery "module" as part of the package. I have this utility (and it's a good product), but I have never used it for doing data recovery.

You may be able to use such tools to recover erased data. If you intend to try, you should use the disk that held the erased data as little as possible, to reduce the likelihood that new data files will be written over the space used by the old data.

Recover Deleted Mac Mail Trash

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.