Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPhone does not appear in Windows Explorer

My iPhone appears in iTunes but not in Explorer. Help?

iPhone 4, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Feb 2, 2012 4:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply
17 replies

Feb 2, 2012 10:19 PM in response to Taleswapper

So, after mucking around with this bug for half the day, I FINALLY found a fix at MacRumors:

"I was having this problem this morning. Here's what I discovered was the cause:

I found that when I had NO photos in the CAMERA ROLL on the iPhone Photo's app. When I connected my iPhone to my computer with the USB cable, it would not appear in My Computer/Windows Explorer. However, when I had any pictures in the Camera Roll, and I then reconnected the iPhone, it would then appear in My Computer/Windows Explorer.

I tried the above around 6 times and the same thing happened everytime.

I thought I would post what worked for me." ~FatBoy71

Works perfectly. When Camera Roll is empty, Windows does not detect a storage device--only a mobile device. Driver glitch? Keeping at least one photo in Camera Roll at all times works around nicely.

Thanks, FatBoy!

Aug 15, 2012 11:24 PM in response to Taleswapper

I spent hours and hours on this, and finally figured out and fixed my problem. However, this solution is ONLY good for Windows 7 N or Windows 7 KN. To find out what version of Windows you are running, follow the instructions at http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/help/which-version-of-the-windows-op erating-system-am-i-running

If you are running Windows 7 N or KN, the sad truth is that your OS does NOT HAVE the software needed to connect your iPhone as a digital camera! However, the good news is that this is easy to fix. The fix is at http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=16546

I installed that, and everything just magically started working the way it was supposed to.

May 1, 2016 10:18 AM in response to Taleswapper

I was having this same issue and finally figured out how to fix it. I have Windows 10 so I'm not sure if this will work in any other Windows version. Disconnect your iPhone from your computer. Search for and open Autoplay Settings. In the iPhone drop down choose "Ask me every time." Connect you iPhone to your computer. When the pop up asks you what to do with the device, select Import Photos and Videos. You can then import all photos/videos or choose which ones to import. Your iPhone will also now show in Windows Explorer.

Dec 10, 2016 3:50 PM in response to Taleswapper

I figured out what my problem was. It may or may not be yours, but I'll share it anyway.

I already knew that if I didn't have any photos, it wouldn't open in explorer. But I had it all set up that it would open in explorer any other time -- which it did... for awhile. Then recently it wouldn't do it - most of th time (it did on occasion). I tried all the steps everyone suggested but nothing worked. Until I finally realized that apparently, one of the recent updates, changed how iphone worked. NOW it ONLY opens explorer if I have my iphone ON when I plug it in! If it's off or "sleeping", it will not open Windows explorer. But if I've unlocked it to where my apps are showing, and THEN plug it in, it will open explorer EVERY TIME!

Hope this helps someone else too!! :-)

My iPhone does not appear in Windows Explorer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.