Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Capsule "Server Connection Interrupted"

For the last 2 months I get this Pop Up every Couple of Hours on my iMac. I have a Time Capsule & my iTunes Library is on that Network Hard Drive.
"Server Connections Interrupted" and shows the Hard Drive in my Time Capsule (iTunes).

I am running latest Version of Lion.

I am connected from iMac Ethernet to Time Capsule.
I have the Time Capsule Drive Set to Login when my Mac Starts Up.
But here's the funny part. My iTunes Music will be Playing perfectly when this Pops Up. No skips, Stutters. Nothing. So it does not interfere with anything working.
I would like to Post the Error but I forgot how! User uploaded file

iMac 27" 3.06 GHz. ATI 4670 4GB 1TB, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Feb 2, 2012 7:03 PM

32 replies

Feb 16, 2012 8:34 AM in response to Dino1956

Hi there,

I have EXACTLY the same error for EXACTLY the same length of time. I have found that my system behaves like yours and that this window pops up as you have indicated. The only difference, obviously is the name of the time capsule device. Mine is called Tim's Time Capsule. I have loaded the latest Time Capsule firmware yesterday and this made no difference to the problem, I do know that it is widespread and that is is irritating.

Hopefully someone in the community has a solution to the problem!

Best Wishes and comisserations.

Tim

Message was edited by: Orkneytim

Feb 16, 2012 4:17 PM in response to Orkneytim

OK. What fixed mine & I did this unintentionally. I have another External Western Digital Hard Drive Connected. I downloaded the Drive Manager for that Drive from Western Digital & now no trouble. Perhaps that drive was interferring with the Time Capsule Drive somehow. Again, I'm not sure. But since I installed the WD Drive Manager, I have not had the issue. My luck when ever I say or write something like this, it'll come back. :-(

Feb 21, 2012 1:52 PM in response to Dino1956

I kept getting the same error then I woke up to the "Drive Failure" error message and a yellow light. Applecare replaced the TC drive but I lost 500gbs of movies and music along with hours of attempts to organize the library. Music was backed up but the labor was not...back to starting over and wondering if the TC should be anything more than an expensive backup drive.

Feb 21, 2012 4:10 PM in response to adam.clary01

Adam, that is a Nightmare. I have my entire iTunes on mine but I have it all backed up to another drive.I thought the HD thay use for Time Capsule is above normal standard. How old was yours when this happened. Mine is way past Warranty. Just goes to show, ALL hard drives die. That must have been a lot of work for you. At least they replaced the TC.

Feb 22, 2012 7:56 PM in response to Dino1956

I had solved this problem by reverting back to the previous firmware. whatever the latest firmware update was, it appears to cause this problem. Problem that I have now is that the firmware was accidentally updated by someone else in my house and now the interface has changed on the airport utility and I can't figure out how to revert to the previous firmware. I'm open for help on that one. It was pretty easy in the old airport utility.

Feb 24, 2012 1:32 PM in response to adam.clary01

It will still kick up server disconnected messages even if in bridge.. the issue has to do with the way AFP works some changes that were made. So even if the TC has fixed IP and no longer routes internet it still will have issues. But I find not on 7.5.2 unless there really is a network problem.. For a data store or backup there is no need to use the latest firmware AFAIK.. even Lion should work fine with earlier firmware. Even!!

Feb 24, 2012 9:49 PM in response to LaPastenague

I have just installed a new 4th generation Time Capsule, and have the same [what I thought initially was just a nuisance] 'Server Connections Interrupted' popup window appearing very frequently.

Here is the Popup window:

User uploaded file

Worse; when I began the process of backing up 105GB of data from my NAS RAID 1 set up to the new Time Capsule (TC), the copying process is failing part way through [typically deep down in the Folder Structure] which as you can image is a real pain, a hopeless situation really…

Here is the Copy Faiure message:

User uploaded file

The TC setup is simple, WiFi turned Off, DHCP, Bridge Mode. Connected directly by Ethernet to iMac and the NAS, and the WAN Ethernet port to an AirPort Extreme.

I also note a strange entry in the TC Airport Utility 'Logs and Statistics'…

Every five minutes, there is a Severity:5 message, an AFP Login, instantly closed?

Feb 25 12:13:56 Severity:5 AFP login OK from Robert Mclnnes@10.0.1.2.

Feb 25 12:13:56 Severity:5 AFP session from Robert Mclnnes@10.0.1.2 closing.

Feb 25 12:18:57 Severity:5 AFP login OK from Robert Mclnnes@10.0.1.2.

Feb 25 12:18:57 Severity:5 AFP session from Robert Mclnnes@10.0.1.2 closing.

10.0.1.2 is my iMac

What on earth is this log about, is it related to the failure of the copying of the backup files from NAS to TC...

I am in a desperate situation right now, since I am unable to continue with the backup and restructure of iPhoto and iTunes libraries, which are all resident on the NAS RAID 1 setup.

Am replacing all of the Ethernet cables involved, incase this is simply a 'bad connection'.

Would appreciate some feedback from anyone who may have cracked this issue...

Take note Apple, this is awful!… All my other stuff, prior to this incident, an Airport Extreme, an older Time Capsule as WiFi extension and storage, Airport Express, Macmini, works like a charm…

Robert

Mar 2, 2012 10:55 AM in response to Dino1956

Ditto. Started in last couple months.

Have 7.6.1 firmware on TIme Capsule

Problem occurs on both MacBook PRo over WiFi & Mac Mini over ethernet.

Mini runs iTunes which points to iTunes folder located on the TC. This has led to corruption of iTunes libary.

MacBook Pro is not able to backup to TC because it can't find the "sparsebundle" reliably.

So you might want to make backups of your iTunes database, and make sure your TC backups are not failing.

Time Capsule "Server Connection Interrupted"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.