Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Copying 1.7 TB = 2 days?

Is it normal that copying 1.7 TB of files from one external drive to another takes 2 days? (50GB took 1 hr so far.)

My MacBook 2009 is connected to external #1 via FW 400, to which external #2 is connected via FW 800.

Thank you!

Posted on Feb 3, 2012 9:27 AM

9 replies

Feb 3, 2012 1:41 PM in response to Kappy

Maybe I have a wrong notion of how this runs. I imagined that the files could be transferred from B to C at full speed, no matter what A comes before. There are no data to be transferred from the MacBook via the FW 400: all data are connected via FW 800. So I thought this should run at full speed, not at half. - Obviously, the MacBook is the bottleneck, as its OS transfers the data, no matter where they are stored. Is that correct? If so, my mistake. :-)

Feb 3, 2012 1:45 PM in response to Peter R.

If you have multiple Firewire devices on a single chain then the transfer rate for the chain is determined by the slowest device. If your MacBook only has a FW400 port then no matter how fast those external drives are the data transfer rate is determined by the MacBook's FW400 port. Typically that might average 40 GBs/hour, but as has been stated by Cattus the transfer rate will be affected by how many files and how many really small files. Lots of the latter results in a dramatic reduction in throughput.

Copying 1.7 TB = 2 days?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.