Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Network share mounting in dock

Hi everyone, my first discussion and first of many posts (preferably helpful ones!).

Basically long story short, we have a couple of hundred machines on our network running 10.6.8 all happily working away on a server. We created a couple of new 10.7 images earlier in 2011 which was unusable due to the AD binding and connecting to samba shares. However, now this is all working pretty good I managed to authenticate through AD but for some reason my network homes share now sits in my dock (next to applications) and a standard Managed account was created locally...

I'm just very confused as to why this has happened and hoping someone can shed some light onto this for me? If I log back into 10.6.8 I have my network share homes automatically sync up so that I can access my files straight from the Desktop but if I login to 10.7.3 with my AD account, it creates a brand new Managed account but also mounts my network share in my dock.

Sorry for the repititve description but am open to suggestions/advice!

Cheers,

Si

Configuration-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Feb 3, 2012 9:56 AM

2 replies

Feb 5, 2012 3:32 AM in response to Sinerg1

I had a poke around the User Experience settings in Directory Utility and found that "Create mobile account at login" was unchecked and "Force local home directory on startup disk" was checked. I tried unchecking force local home directory at startup disk and tried logging in with another active directory account but received the same issue. A new managed account was created locally and the networks home share was sitting in the dock.

Anyone else with similar experience or advice?

Thanks.

Feb 5, 2012 4:33 AM in response to Sinerg1

I managed to fix this but it was quite strange how I managed this!

In System Prefs > Accounts > Login Options, you have the option to bind to an AD server.

I was previously removing and then readding the AD server address here and then configuring the User Experience settings so that "Force local home directory on startup disk" was unchecked. Everytime I tried logging in with an Active Directory account, it was creating a local account... I would then check the User Experience settings and noticed that "Force local home directory on startup disk" was re-enabled for some reason.

The fix;- Initially, I was adding the AD server first and then configuring the User Experience settings but I decided to configure the User Experience settings first and then bind the AD server. This seemed to apply and work!

./bizzzare!

Network share mounting in dock

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.