Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I install iTunes Producer on a Windows PC?

I would like to install iTunes Producer on a Windows PC, but I can't find a file compatable with windows. The support page for iTunes Producer says that iTunes is only made for Macs. Is this really the case?

Posted on Feb 3, 2012 12:45 PM

21 replies

Jun 23, 2012 3:20 AM in response to K T

Well, this solved my question, but it didn't help me. Thanks K T for clarifying.

I think the worst part is that nowhere in the documentation for iTunes Connect or iTunes Producer is this explained, as far as I can see. It's very frustrating; I already have my book in EPUB format and all I need to do is get it into the store, but is this possible for somebody with a PC? Nope. Now I have to turn all those people who want to buy my book on their iPhones and iPads away from the iTunes store and tell them to buy the EPUB format of my book elsewhere.

Sep 13, 2012 7:04 AM in response to caitietunes

On page 7 under System Requirements:

iTunes Producer 2.7.1 for books requires a Macintosh with an Intel Core processor, at least 512 MB RAM, and Mac OS X v10.6 or later installed.

I have friends who write on Windows. Several of them use Smashwords and it seems to work for them, although I haven't used Smashwords myself, so don't know from personal experience.

May 17, 2013 11:23 AM in response to aporrel

I would love to sell my books on the ibook store to make my readers happy, but this is really absurd. Apple makes everything so darn complicated. They deter a lot of good poeple who have products that can make them money but don't have Apple products. So, those who don't have the overpriced Apple computers must then use an aggregator who will then take a cut of the money for themselves.

I'll admit, that Apple computers are probably superior to Microtrash, but come on. Let's not penalize people here. Apple could make a bunch more money by having a version of this program for Windows users (Linux users can get by with a Windows version and the WINE

I don't know what the ibook sales are like in comparison to Amazon, or B&N, but I suspect it is not close. Why should I go through the pain of buying an Apple/Mac, or go through an aggregator who will take a cut, when my sales would be a fraction of what they would be on Amazon?

Dec 8, 2014 7:10 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

Unfortunately the actual product at issue, iTunes Producer, isn't on the list of products that can be commented upon. Given that Amazon, Google Play and Nook all manage this upload process over the web, without a need for any sort of app, Apple's approach seems terribly short-sighted.

Services like Smashwords can upload the files for you, but they charge you 15% of all sales for that favor, which is absurd, especially given Apple's publication clause requiring prices to be materially similar across markets... if I charge extra to sell books on iTunes, to make up the difference, is that a materially different price? I don't know, but after a point, it isn't worth the trouble to find out since readers on iPad and etc can get Kindle apps, Nook apps, and download the exact same ePub files and put them into iTunes' bookshelf that way, so the customer base doesn't seem to shift too dramatically. I'd certainly appreciate having a more direct approach, where Apple and I can make money together, but if they don't want that, I suppose that's their business.

Dec 8, 2014 9:18 PM in response to Lodril

Lodril wrote:

Apple's approach seems terribly short-sighted.

Apple's approach already yields them more books than they need, I can see why they might not have much incentive to devote resources to save some money for Windows users who don't want to use an aggregator or rent online Mac time. On the other hand, it really is crazy that they have never produced a Windows version of the iBooks app, which would open a vast new sales market for their ebooks.

Can I install iTunes Producer on a Windows PC?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.