Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No more access to 3.5.2-clients

Since i updated our clients to 3.5.2, i can't access some of them anymore ("connection to ??? failed"). They are running os 10.7.2 others 10.7.3. Access to clients with 10.6.8 is still ok. Anyone else with this problem?

Posted on Feb 3, 2012 1:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 3, 2012 11:38 PM

Have you tried connecting to the client using the finder instead of ARD?

ie:

go to dock

click on finder

go to menu bar

click on go menu

chose connect to server

put in the address vnc://computerName.local

click connect.

Alertively can you ssh into the client?

9 replies

Feb 4, 2012 12:37 AM in response to Marcel Burkart-Huber

are the clients on the same WLAN? Do you know the IP of one of the effected clients? can you ping it?

ie:

go to dock

click on finder

click on go menu

chose utilites

double click on terminal

type 'ping (put computer IP address here)'

if ping works, you could try connecting via connect to server or via SSH

SSH would be:

while terminal is still open

ssh loginName@(put computer IP address here)

if you can connect, do you get the correct computer name?

Feb 4, 2012 10:40 AM in response to Marcel Burkart-Huber

Ok so

if you SSH into the client , and use the command "tail -F /var/log/secure.log" to view the secure log. While viewing the secure log, you could try to connect to the client via VNC.

IE: vnc://user@(ip address) , vnc://user:password@(ip address) and vnc://(ip address) ? (using the go menu)

Your attempts to connect should show up in secure.log and may give us some insite into the issue.

Feb 4, 2012 6:37 PM in response to Marcel Burkart-Huber

Well if it was reaching ARDAgent on clent computer, you should be seeing some thing in the secure log.

Have you cehcked to make sure the firewall is off on both computers?

Have you checked to make sure Remote Management is enabled on the client?

Apple Remote Desktop: Configuring remotely via command line (kickstart):

You need an administrator account to use the kickstart utility. To begin using the kickstart utility, use the sudo command, such as:

$ sudo /System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/Resources/k ickstart -restart -agent

Activate Remote Desktop Sharing, enable access privileges for the users "admin", grant full privileges for the users "admin", restart ARD Agent and Menu extra:

$ sudo /System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/Resources/k ickstart -activate -configure -access -on -users admin -privs -all -restart -agent -menu

You could ssh try rebooting ARDAgent

sudo /System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/Resources/k ickstart -restart -agent

Or make sure ARDAgent is enabled with

sudo /System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/Resources/k ickstart -activate -configure -access -on

Feb 5, 2012 12:02 AM in response to TeenTitan

I retried the thing with the console log, but still there is no reaction.

I can't understand, why I see the client on my ARD as 'idle' or 'available' and why I still can get all reports etc. but have no access to the screen anymore. I used this function almost daily and never had any problems with it, regardless if i was on the lan in the office or via ipsec from home. I made no changes, remote management is still active. Since ARD-Client 3.5.2, I can't 'screen-access' any 10.7.2- or 10.7.3-clients, but still all 10.6.8-clients. And all the other ARD-commands are still working (report, manage,...).

I tried the command 'wake up' and the status changes from 'idle' to 'available' and in the log-file there now ist the following entry: 'Feb 5 08:58:18 Marcels-MacPro3GHz loginwindow[4604]: resume called when there was already a timer'.

No more access to 3.5.2-clients

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.