Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

video chat

how do I video chat with iChat? My friend shows up with her gmail account but 'invite to video chat' is greyed out. When I do a text chat it says I have a 'jabber' account. What is that? I've used video chat with another person from my laptop, but with this person on this computer it isn' working.

Posted on Feb 3, 2012 3:46 PM

6 replies

Feb 5, 2012 2:59 PM in response to Bob Sabiston

Hi,

With a Jabber account (Google run a Jabber server) iChat will only "See" the Video icons of those Buddies that also have iChat.

This mean iChat to iChat will work.

However iChat to someone Logged in to Google with a Web Browser will not work.

Nor will it work to the PC only Standalone App GoogleTalk do (App has same name).

It's about the connection protocol that iChat uses compared to most Jabber apps.

It also effect your Facebook Buddies or any other Jabber Buddy not using iChat.

In iChat 6 it also effects your Yahoo Account if you have one.

User uploaded file
10:59 PM Sunday; February 5, 2012

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Lion 10.7.3)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Mar 22, 2012 1:51 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

I'm having a similar issue as wel. But as far as I can tell, I and my buddy both have everything set up correctly? We are both using yahoo accounts with iChat, both using iMacs with built-in cameras, both of us have video, voice and screen sharing enabled and we have both used Connection Doctor to make sure we have all the appropriate capabilities with green check marks. Invite to video, voice and screen are all still greyed out. I can't find anything else that we might need to do in order for it to work. Using iChat 6 obviously.

Mar 22, 2012 2:48 PM in response to NacShutterbugD73

Hi,

Can you tell me if you have used AIM Logins in iChat before this ? (AIM, @mac.com and @me.com ending Apple IDs)

If so have you been able to Video Chat with those Buddy Lists ?

Also check the Video Menu.

In iChat 6 this reads Enable Video Chat and Enable Audio Chat and both should be ticked.

(Selecting the items toggles the setting Off or On depending on it's current state.)

Also check the View Menu and the Show Statuses for Video and Audio.

Invite to video, voice and screen are all still greyed out.

Can you be more precise as to where this is ?

The Buddies Menu when a Buddy is Highlighted in the list ?

At the bottom of the Buddy List when a Buddy is highlighted ?

(Is a Buddy highlighted ?)

User uploaded file
9:48 PM Thursday; March 22, 2012

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Mar 22, 2012 5:09 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

This is actually the first time we have tried to use iChat and do not have any other chat accounts except Yahoo, so we have never used AIM with it.

Yes, on the Video Menu both Video Chat and Audio chat are enabled (have check marks next to them).

I just checked the View Menu you mentioned and both of those are apparently enabled as well as they have check marks beside them, too.

Yes, I have made sure to have a buddy highlighted in all steps. The Start an audio chat, Start a video chat and Start screen sharing at the bottom of my list are all greyed out and not availble when I select my buddy in the list, greyed out. The same goes under the Buddies menu where it says Invite to Video Chat and Invite to Audio Chat.

I hope I answered all the questions, lol. Here are a couple of screen shots of different menus I'm seeing. Is there somewhere else I should be looking for connection issues?

User uploaded file User uploaded file

User uploaded file User uploaded file

Mar 23, 2012 12:35 PM in response to NacShutterbugD73

Hi,

First thing.

The Buddies Menu > Block item (And Buddy's Name)

And the Share options don't seem to be the same Names. (even though you have edited/smudged them)

User uploaded file

If the person is in the Address Book and their card details their "Real Names" and iChat Screen Name the Buddy List and the Buddies Menu would list their "Real Name".

The Main Issue

So you have not managed a Video Or Audio Only chat before.

It is a Yahoo Account on both computers.

Both computers are Macs and using iChat.

Highlighting Buddy does not enable the iCons at the bottom of the Buddy list (Or Darken the text in the Buddies Menu for same)

Do you get green Video or Audio icons next to the Buddy's Pic in the Buddy List ?

Example pic of an AIM List

User uploaded file

If a Buddy is in a Jabber Buddy List (GoogleTalk or FaceBook as well as other Jabber Logins) or a Yahoo Buddy list logged in via the Yahoo for Mac App or more likely logged in via a web browser (like GoogleTalk chats) then this may take priority over the iChat Login.

If this is the case then you may not see the Video or Audio green icons.

That is to say that Jabber Buddies can be logged in to their server in various ways.

GoogleTalk and Facebook both have web Browser logins that can access Chat.

iChat has a Jabber side and it cannot Video Chat to these logins (only iChat to iChat)

Yahoo is the same. (which you seem to acknowledge in the first post).

I am suggesting that one of you has a additional Login which is confusing things.

The issues about the Name behind the blurring appearing to be different is not something I have seen before.

This may be an Address Book issue or may be related to a dual login.

User uploaded file
7:34 PM Friday; March 23, 2012

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

video chat

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.