Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why do I get "Unknown user name or bad password" on Windows 7 when trying to connect to an SMB share on my Mac?

Before installing the update to 10.7.3 I could connect to an SMB share on my Mac from Windows 7 but I can't any longer. When I try I get the error "Unknown user name or bad password" on the Windows 7 system.

When I try to connect using the "net use..." command I get the error: "System error 86 has occurred".

Does anyone know how to resolve this? What really confuses me is that it was working fine until I installed the update to 10.7.3.

iMac (24-inch Mid 2007), Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Feb 3, 2012 4:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 3, 2012 5:11 PM

Check the Wins Tab in the Advanced section of Network in system preferences.

If you don't have the same workgroup name and the correct NetBIOS name showing up in the WINS tab you will get the Bad username or password.

I know I deal with this everyday.

There is something wrong with Lion and it does not automatically fill in those entries in the WINS tab.

What I have to do on every reboot/startup is open System preferences go to Sharing and uncheck File Sharing then recheck it. That will fill in the WINS tab entries.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 3, 2012 5:11 PM in response to Mark Trolley

Check the Wins Tab in the Advanced section of Network in system preferences.

If you don't have the same workgroup name and the correct NetBIOS name showing up in the WINS tab you will get the Bad username or password.

I know I deal with this everyday.

There is something wrong with Lion and it does not automatically fill in those entries in the WINS tab.

What I have to do on every reboot/startup is open System preferences go to Sharing and uncheck File Sharing then recheck it. That will fill in the WINS tab entries.

Why do I get "Unknown user name or bad password" on Windows 7 when trying to connect to an SMB share on my Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.