Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

traces.log

I helped a couple of my friends setup their new iMac computers this last week and both of their new iMacs get this traces.log inserted into the Hard Drive window at every restart.

We trash it before every restart but it always comes back.

I had one of them talk to the Apple techs and they said they never heard of this before.

The traces.log appears to be created by some type of Console log....

I haven't seen this before on any computers that I have updated for myself or my friends...

Anyone have any ideas?

Both friends were running Tiger 10.4.11 and migrated their files over using Migration Assistant.....

Their new iMacs of course came with Lion 10.7 whatever but now are running 10.7.3.....

Posted on Feb 3, 2012 5:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 3, 2012 7:04 PM

The file is created automatically by a diagnostic component of Lion. If it bothers you, you can hide it as follows.

Launch the Terminal application by entering the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Drag or copy -- do not type -- the following line into the window, then press return:

sudo chflags hidden /traces.log

You'll be prompted for your login password, which won't be displayed when you type it. You may get a one-time warning not to screw up. Quit Terminal.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 3, 2012 7:04 PM in response to Joseph Kriz

The file is created automatically by a diagnostic component of Lion. If it bothers you, you can hide it as follows.

Launch the Terminal application by entering the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Drag or copy -- do not type -- the following line into the window, then press return:

sudo chflags hidden /traces.log

You'll be prompted for your login password, which won't be displayed when you type it. You may get a one-time warning not to screw up. Quit Terminal.

Feb 4, 2012 10:30 AM in response to Linc Davis

Thanks for the info Linc....

I don't have this on any of my computers running Lion but it would bother me.

I would not want it on my computer and they don't either.

The traces.log is on 2 of my friends new iMacs and they are not that experienced.

I'll try your method on their computers to get that file hidden like it should be.

Will post back once I get them to try it.

traces.log

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.