Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't boot with external firewire drive attached.

I have an iMac 20 inch (mid-2007) running Lion 10.7.3. When the external drive, a WD My Passport Studio 1TB, is attached via the firewire connection, the iMac will not boot at all. It will be stuck at the white screen, if I disconnect the drive, the apple log appears and boot up continues normally. If I try using a USB cable, the problem does not exist, the computer boots normally. The external drive is a Time Machine drive. The external drive has no Recovery HD partition.

Any idea where the problem is ?

Thank you

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Feb 3, 2012 6:14 PM

38 replies

Feb 3, 2012 10:39 PM in response to s.mazzucato

The 'problem' is probably similar to the many problems reported with the new Lion Update. You might want to 'count your lucky starts,' that you can boot up at all.

There are major problems with Lion 10.7.3 update. Mine won't boot, just get a grey screen.

Starting in 'Safe Mode,' worked - Hold down the Shift key when starting up the computer.

Also can boot in Single User mode - Hold down Cmd(Apple) key & the letter 'S'

IF you have Lion Recovery, holding Cmd-R will give you options (mentioned above)

Not all machines have Lion Recovery automatically installed and those folks had to make a USB Flash Drive disk and if that was done, hold down the Option key when starting up.

Or, as John Galt also mentioned, you're going to have to download the Combo update from another computer and hope you can get it copy/installed on your main hard drive.

I'm going to try reinstalling the Combo Update now.

Feb 4, 2012 7:08 AM in response to 60wpm

Thanks for your reply, I was not specific enough. The problem I have is not specific to Lion 10.7.3, I had the same issue with all previous versions of Lion. I never tried wth Snow Leopard as I did not have the drive then. I may to find another firewire drive to determine if the issue is with the drive's firmware or not. Thanks.

Feb 4, 2012 8:15 AM in response to s.mazzucato

@s.mazzucato. Oh..

1. Try another forum for your question. You weren't necessarily 'wrong,' to put it here but it might be very worthwhile to copy & paste it and put it in the iMac section and in a Time Machine section, as well.

You're in the OS Lion 10.7 section, which is fair enough but current 'going crazy' with the latest update issues and your problem might be better to be in the section specific to your type of computer, not the OS --- since you're problem has been from Day One, as you mention, 'all previous versions of Lion,' -- from the day you first tried the external drive.

This problem is not unusual. My external drive has both USB and Firewire and where and how you plug these things in, and to what type of machine or hubs they are going through, can cause problems and less than perfect performance.

Less than perfect performance sometimes happen and sometimes you have to plug and unplug and try this and try that. Lots of times the issue is not the OS, or not even your computer but just something unique to how the user has set it all up or certain incampatibilities between different brands of equipment (or apps).

I think you may find a solution to your issue. It is certainly an unnecessarily annoyance and it would be nice -- and we all learn something -- when we try to iron out such difficulties, bit or small.

Good luck.

Feb 4, 2012 5:17 PM in response to s.mazzucato

If the same drive works fine via USB, then it's either your Mac's FireWire port, the cable, the connection (a plug that works fine in one port may not make good contact in another), or the FireWire chip inside the drive.

Thus the suggestions to try another drive or cable, or swap cable ends.

Any idea why the drive doesn't have a Recovery HD? Time Machine should have copied the one from your internal HD to it on the first backup you made with 10.7.2, if the drive has the GUID (or GPT) Partition Map Scheme.

Feb 4, 2012 5:38 PM in response to 60wpm

60wpm wrote:

Some older computers don't get a Recovery HD made, so Apple has provided a 'Lion Recovery Disk Assistant,' that needs to be downloaded separately and put on a USB Flash drive. This is what I have; it works. See http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1433 -- which all users might find useful if your HD is trashed or inaccessable.

The age of a Mac has nothing to do with whether a Recovery HD is made -- it's usually the partition layout. See http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4649?viewlocale=en_US.

And the Recovery Disk Assistant won't make a new Recovery HD; it only copies one that's already on the startup drive.

From the article: "Note: In order to create an external Lion Recovery using the Lion Recovery Assistant, the Mac must have an existing Recovery HD."

Feb 4, 2012 5:46 PM in response to Pondini

After inspection with diskutil, it seems that my external drive does not have a GPT but a Apple_partition_schme table, see below. Could that be related to the problem ?

/dev/disk1

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: Apple_partition_scheme *1.0 TB disk1

1: Apple_partition_map 32.3 KB disk1s1

2: Apple_Driver43 28.7 KB disk1s2

3: Apple_Driver43 28.7 KB disk1s3

4: Apple_Driver_ATA 28.7 KB disk1s4

5: Apple_Driver_ATA 28.7 KB disk1s5

6: Apple_FWDriver 262.1 KB disk1s6

7: Apple_Driver_IOKit 262.1 KB disk1s7

8: Apple_Patches 262.1 KB disk1s8

9: Apple_HFS Time Machine 1.0 TB disk1s10

Feb 4, 2012 5:56 PM in response to s.mazzucato

s.mazzucato wrote:

After inspection with diskutil, it seems that my external drive does not have a GPT but a Apple_partition_schme table, see below. Could that be related to the problem ?

That's the reason there's no Recovery HD on it. If you ever have to erase it, you might want to repartition it as GUID/GPT while you're at it.

But it shouldn't affect Time Machine or be the cause of this problem.

How old is this drive?

Without another FireWire cable or device to test, it's going to be rather hard to pin down the problem. You might want to try contacting WD to see if they have any way to tell.

Feb 4, 2012 6:01 PM in response to Pondini

Quote: "

The Do-It-Yourself Recovery Tool.

Not all Macs running OS X Lion are enabled for Internet Recovery. But Apple still has you covered with the Recovery Disk Assistant. You can create a bootable Lion Recovery drive using your own USB drive that does everything to recover your Mac"

http://www.apple.com/macosx/recovery/

One reason is age of computer. Mac mini (late 2009), like mine, for example.

Feb 4, 2012 6:14 PM in response to 60wpm

60wpm wrote:

Quote: "

The Do-It-Yourself Recovery Tool.

Not all Macs running OS X Lion are enabled for Internet Recovery. But Apple still has you covered with the Recovery Disk Assistant. You can create a bootable Lion Recovery drive using your own USB drive that does everything to recover your Mac"

http://www.apple.com/macosx/recovery

Yes, and that links to the same article that says it won't create a new one, only copy an existing one.

Or are you saying you've done that on a Mac that doesn't already have a Recovery HD?

One reason is age of computer. Mac mini (late 2009), like mine, for example

No, the age of your Mac has nothing to do with it - it's the partition setup, per http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4649?viewlocale=en_US. I have one on my 2009 iMac.

Feb 4, 2012 9:57 PM in response to Pondini

No. You can do that if you want.

I think I'll get back to enjoying my computer.

If I misunderstood you or the article, sorry about that.

All I know, from 20+ years of Apple computer experience, is that I do not have any partition for Recovery. But I put what Apple suggested onto a 2GB Flash drive; am connected to the Internet by cable; it worked.

Can't boot with external firewire drive attached.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.