Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iChat history doesn't go away

For months now, I have had this problem on iChat that makes a partial chat history show up on the chat window as long as it stays open, no matter how many times I quit. The text usually consists of the first two messages sent.

Example:

me: hey

them: hi

The rest of the conversation doesn't show up. I checked my iChat preferences and the "Save chat transcripts" is not checked. I cleared my iChat plists anc caches. I've done everything I can think of and this problem continues to happen. This started a month after I installed Lion (I downloaded/installed Lion the day of release). I have called Apple Support and they have not helped, so I hope you can!!!!

MacBook Pro (15-inch 2.53 GHz), Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Feb 3, 2012 10:36 PM

6 replies

Feb 5, 2012 3:20 PM in response to chinesedonkey925

Hi,

There are two things that are going on here.

1) Is Lion's ability to open a window that was Open on Shut down.

This can be added to by iChat own ability to re-open Chats that were Open on Quit (It could do this before ichat 6)

2) The second is which .plist is holding the Recents List

com.apple.iChat.LSSharedFileList.plist also holds the info in the Recent Chats List.

Recent Chats can also be changed by System Preferences > General Pane and the Setting for Documents.

This goes across all apps (or servers or Applications) which is why the .plist has a "Shared" name.

The Chat is probably "Staying" as you are not saying you are Closing that window (the red blob only close windows in iChat)

There is a third possibility and that is for some reason that one chat (The first "Day" probably) was added to System Preferences > Accounts > (Your account) Login Item list.

I hope this gives you some ideas.

A) the chat is the only bit made on the startt day of the chat (May have been the only bit during an iChat Session)

B) It may be that window is not Closed before iChat is Quit or computer Shut Down happens so it is being "brought" back.

C) Possibly it (the chat) is listed as a Login Item.

User uploaded file
11:20 PM Sunday; February 5, 2012

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Lion 10.7.3)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Feb 6, 2012 12:36 PM in response to chinesedonkey925

Hi,

You have to look for it Manually, particularly in Lion as you cannot access the ~/Library from the Finder windows you have open as it is hidden.

It either means the Finder's GO Menu and holding the ALT key to see the Library appear in the list

OR... Use the Go menu > Go to Folder and enter ~/Library in the dialogue box.

Spotlight will not look in this Library (in fact it does not look in the two on the System Side of things either.)

I double checked and I do have the File in Lion but it also has a modified date after the purchase and Migration from Leopard date (I moved an Account form my Leopard Computer rather than my Snow Leopard computer)

User uploaded file
Uploaded with Skitch!

I understand that the Chat in question is not a Login Item

User uploaded file
8:36 PM Monday; February 6, 2012

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Feb 6, 2012 1:05 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Yeah, I went to the library again and that particular plist is not there. The list of iChat plists i have is:

com.apple.iChat.AIM.plist

com.apple.iChat.AIM.plist.lockfile

com.apple.iChat.Jabber.plist

com.apple.iChat.Jabber.plist.lockfile

com.apple.iChat.plist

com.apple.iChat.plist.lockfile

com.apple.iChat.StatusMessages.plist

com.apple.iChat.StatusMessages.plist.lockfile

com.apple.iChat.Yahoo.plist

com.apple.iChat.Yahoo.plist.lockfile

Feb 6, 2012 1:49 PM in response to chinesedonkey925

Hi,

Can you look in System Preferences > General Section and tell me how many Documents should be in the Recent Lists ?

User uploaded file
Uploaded with Skitch!

This should be the same for Any app.

in iChat what does the File Menu > Recent Items show you.

Mine list 20 Chats as the setting is set for 20

User uploaded file
Uploaded with Skitch!

I have Developer Tools Installed and the .plists can be opened in XCode

I changed the Document Recent items to 30/

The .plist shows this change.

User uploaded file
Uploaded with Skitch!

It sounds as if you do not have Permission to Write to the Preferences folder.

Opne ~/Library and highlight the Preferences Folder

Then do a Get Info (Apple/CMD ( or ⌘) and i keys together)

At the bottom of the Info Panel it should list your Shortname.

You should have Read and Write access.

User uploaded file
9:49 PM Monday; February 6, 2012

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

iChat history doesn't go away

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.