Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

what are .lproj folders

After I installed iWork, I was appalled to see how huge the apps were (Pages is nearly 900mb, Keynote even bigger). So, I took a peek into Pages (06) by using the Finder's Show Package Contents function to see what was inside of the Pages.app file.

Inside I found various folders with the extension .lproj -- spanish.lproj, japanese.lproj, etc -- I think there were six of them. I then looked into them and found that each of the .lproj folders had the same structure and basically had different language versions of all the templates (and other stuff). These folders were huge in and of themselves.

After deleting all of them except the one for English, the size of Pages.app went down from nearly 900mb to about 250mb. I started Pages and it worked just find without all those folders.

I'm just wondering what the logic is behind having the installer install support for all of these different languages, whether the user wants it or not? Personally, I would rather have 6 or 700 mb of extra space on my hard drive to store photos, music, etc than to have support in Pages for creating documents in Japanese, Spanish, Dutch, German, and Italian.

Was there something in the installation routine that I missed, which might have given the user an option to NOT install this stuff? It would also be nice to have an option to not install all of the templates. They take up a lot of space and I can't conceive of circumstance when I might even consider using 90 percent of them.

iMac G4/800, Mac OS X (10.4.5)

Posted on Feb 19, 2006 2:58 PM

2 replies

Feb 19, 2006 6:49 PM in response to Wet Baloney

Since 40% of Apple's revenue comes from overseas, they naturally want to make sure that users speaking other languages don't have to do anything special to use software right out of the box.

No, there is no option in the install procedure to not install the localizations. In OS X you can omit the system localizations via a custom install. You might want to make your views known via the feedback channel. But concerns about space of the size you mention probably don't carry a lot of weight these days when the standard consumer machine comes with 160 or 250GB.

what are .lproj folders

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.