Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Compressor WAY too slow!

I normally don't use compressor to export my movies because I know it takes a little bit longer and I'm usually in a rush. I seem to be a bit more organized these days so I thought I'd give compressor another try. Holy Moly!! It has been two days now that it's been exporting a 20 mins movie... In final cut I can export that same movie in less than 3 hours. It doesn't always do it and I do use compressor for transcoding all my files into prores first and that is usually pretty fast. But when I send something from FCP to Compressor it is just painfully slow beyond a reasonable explanation. Anyone have any ideas on how I could make my compressor faster or what could possibly be causing compressor to take more than 2 days to export a 20min movie?? It's a very simple movie without any effects or crazy stuff... in prores. Shouldn't be doing that to me!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.4), iMac, 3.06 GHz, Intel Core 2 Duo, Final Cut Studio 3

Posted on Feb 4, 2012 12:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 4, 2012 5:27 AM

You're not giving us much to go on…like what type output file you're trying to create.

Generally, I would avoid "sending to Compressor" because of a lot of reasons that I won't go into now. Instead, export as a QT movie, current settings (presumably one of the Pro Res flavors). Check your sequence settings (command 0) to confirm that your sequence is in fact Pro Res.

Then you can drag your QT file into Compressor and do whatever you're trying to do for output.

If you have turned Frame Controls on, avoid the Best settings, which can make encodes extremely long.

Good luck.

Russ

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 4, 2012 5:27 AM in response to CBeditor

You're not giving us much to go on…like what type output file you're trying to create.

Generally, I would avoid "sending to Compressor" because of a lot of reasons that I won't go into now. Instead, export as a QT movie, current settings (presumably one of the Pro Res flavors). Check your sequence settings (command 0) to confirm that your sequence is in fact Pro Res.

Then you can drag your QT file into Compressor and do whatever you're trying to do for output.

If you have turned Frame Controls on, avoid the Best settings, which can make encodes extremely long.

Good luck.

Russ

Feb 4, 2012 7:47 PM in response to Russ H

You're right. My bad. I'm exporting to a h.264 mov. I've done things the way you described them a few times (exporting with current settings and then dragging to compressor) but it always just felt like an extra step for me. It's like 'if i'm going to wait for the movie to export i might as well wait for it to export in the right format'. I did, however, have frame controls on only because i wanted it deinterlaced. However, in the filters tab I can check 'deinterlace' there as well and I'm guessing it's the same deinterlace as that one from the 'frames controls' tab? And as far as 'algorithm' - I guess 'odd' or 'even' would result in the same thing pretty much, correct? (I know, this is turning into a deinterlacing topic, sorry lol)

Feb 5, 2012 8:53 AM in response to CBeditor

I don't think the deinterlace in frame controls is the same as in filters tab. I'd suggest you do a test on a short section with a lot of movement using both methods. You can set ins and outs in the preview window in compressor and you can customize and save your presets with a specific name which makes this kind of experimentation very easy.

Also, check out this page from Digital Rebellion on setting up compressor to render using qmaster

http://www.digitalrebellion.com/blog/posts/using_compressor_with_multiple_cores. html

It will speed things up enormlously.

Although Russ recommends not using the Best settings in Frame Controls, I've found it makes an enormous difference in quality. For my final outputs, if I'm doing any resizing, I always go with best.

Feb 5, 2012 10:17 AM in response to CBeditor

Michael's correct about the de-interlace filter (in the Video Filters Tab) being different; actually, the manual says don't use it.

And I don't want to leave the impression that I'm not a fan of Frame Controls because I actually use them regularly. Setting the resize filter to Best per se doesn't generally produce impossibly long encodes, but choosing multiple Best settings can and in those cases I find Better is often quite satisfactory.

Russ

Oct 1, 2012 12:25 PM in response to CBeditor

there is a great solution for this,

it's extremely fast (4 simultanious conversions, extremely large batch lists, click & run immediatly)

and best of all:

YEAH 🙂 IT'S TOTALLY FREE

where I came from

I needed to batch convert Canon 5D footage (33GB!) to Apple Pro Ress 422, didn't work at all:

Compressor didn't work, took me days, didn't respond, terrible, Apple ruined it.

Quicktime 7 Pro opening it by hand, one by one, worked pretty fast though,

but no batch functionality, not going to do the hand job...

But there should be something possible one might think if the handjob is faster than the batchjob.

Adobe Media Encoder crashed with such large amounts of data, no go eather.

But MPEG StreamClip did it for me, even better, faster, more settings, cropping, de-interlacing, audio-settings, all the things you need. You even can repair your Time Code. I use StreamClip since the beginning. Works flawless on Apple & Windows:

solution

download it here: http://www.squared5.com

It's worth sending the maker money, food, drinks & flowers since he did a job for free that Apple couldn't come up with. Please reward this guy! This works for me since the very beginning.

MPEG StreamClip needs to be in every filmmakers toolbox.

system info:

MacBook Pro

17-inch, Mid 2010

Processor 2.66 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Graphics Intel HD Graphics 288 MB

Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 (11G56)

Final Cut Pro 7 latest update

MPEG Streamclip: Version 1.9.2 (1.9.2)

to proof how fast it runs check the documents creation times:

User uploaded file

list view in MPEG STreamclip:

User uploaded file

Converting 33GB of Canon 5D DSLR footage to Apple ProRess 422 will take about 2 hours.

Problem solved.

Compressor WAY too slow!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.