Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pages and iBook Author.

Pages and iBook Author.

Has anyone transferred copy from Pages to iBook author. I would like to download some docs to Pages, edit them and then put into iBook Author. Good idea or no?

Posted on Feb 4, 2012 6:01 AM

16 replies

Feb 4, 2012 7:43 AM in response to oldmovieguy

As iBooks Author is no more than a revamped Pages, I think that it's more logical to work directly in iBooks Author.

In fact, I would build the text components in a bare text editor like TextEdit, Bean, Text Edit+, CleanWriter, iText Express…

Yvan KOENIG (VALLAURIS, France) samedi 4 février 2012

iMac 21”5, i7, 2.8 GHz, 12 Gbytes, 1 Tbytes, mac OS X 10.6.8 and 10.7.2

My Box account is : http://www.box.com/s/00qnssoyeq2xvc22ra4k

Feb 4, 2012 11:34 AM in response to oldmovieguy

You can copy and paste, but neither open nor insert a Pages document into iBook Author.

The visual appearance of iBook Author is very similar to Pages but I'm pretty sure it is a totally new application.

It is based on quite a different premise and technology designed for web and iDevices.

The pity is that Apple is fracturing its applications. There is very little interconnectedness between related software such as iWork, KeyNote, iWeb, Bento and now iBook Author.

Peter

Feb 4, 2012 12:44 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

Mea Culpa! I've only just started playing with it.

I used Menu > Insert > Choose... as in Pages and missed that. Oddly inconsistent and redundant!

I also tried copying and pasting Thumbnails from Pages but only the images come across.

Yvan tells me there is a lot of common code between iBooks Author and Pages as well.

Which makes me wonder how do you take an eBook exported from Pages and polish it in iBook Author?

Peter

Feb 4, 2012 1:29 PM in response to PeterBreis0807

I guess that you will be able to find the Engvlish version.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

For the app, a document is not an object. This is what makes the difference.

The Choose… menu item is perfectly consistent with the iWork apps and it does exactly the same job. I use it to insert pictures, text, rtf or rtfd files.

As the code is borrowed from Pages, it can't import a Pages document.

Feb 4, 2012 1:45 PM in response to PeterBreis0807

I posted nothing from the manual of iOS Pages.

I posted two screenshots of the iBooks Author Help.

As I already wrote, Keep carefully the iWork apps User Guides in PDF format.

I guess that the iBooks Author Help is a prototype of what we will get with next iWork release.

From my point of view it's really boring.

We can't make a search in the full text so we are back to the indexed resource.

I will try to build a script extracting all the available pages and build my own PDF with them.

Feb 4, 2012 1:53 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

May you open your eyes ?

The help page saying : that you CAN import a Pages document "sous forme de Chapitre ou de Section."

is the one related to the menu item :

Import a document Word or Pages, (the one which you missed).

My comment was about the menu item Choose… which is described a designed to import objects.

The way you are able to close your eyes when something don't match your preconceived ideas is really astounding ! You make me think to my second grand son but he is less than 8 years old 😉

Pages and iBook Author.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.