Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

7.6.1 + join wireless network + allow ethernet clients = problems

I have my Airport Express as a 'slave' device on my network, for two purposes:

1) stream AirPlay music to my stereo

2) connect my Xbox 360 to my network

For this, I have the settings 'join a wireless network' and 'allow ethernet clients'.

However, since (some of the later updates), my Xbox will no longer get its network address (I have it fixed in the main router) unless I restart the APX - then the Xbox picks it up fine.

The APX is always on. The Xbox only now and then.

I assume this is a problem with the APX, since no matter what I do in settings on the Xbox it will not connect untill i restart the APX with the Xbox switched on. Then, it works just as well as before.

APX bug?

AirPort Express 802.11n (1st Gen)

Posted on Feb 4, 2012 8:10 AM

9 replies

Feb 4, 2012 9:01 AM in response to SwedePetter

I don't have an Xbox, but if I use another computer connected to the AirPort Express which is set up to "Join a wireless network" with "Allow Ethernet clients", I cannot duplicate the error that you are seeing.

The computer always gets its network address with no problems.

What happens if you connect a computer to the AX as a test?

Feb 4, 2012 1:04 PM in response to SwedePetter

I still cannot duplicate this here, even after trying several devices.

I would try a complete power cycle of the network if you have not already done so as follows:

Power off the entire network....all devices....power down order is not important

Wait a minute

Start the modem first and let it run a minute by itself

Start your "main" router next the same way

Start the AX the same way

Keep starting devices one at a time until everything is powered back up

Test the network again

If still no luck, I would try a Factory Default Reset on the AX and then configure it again

Resetting an AirPort Base Station or Time Capsule FAQ

If still no luck, about all you can do is try to reload the firmware again.....sometimes it does not "stick" on the first update.....or, revert back to the previous firmware version

7.6.1 + join wireless network + allow ethernet clients = problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.