Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

@mac will not connect, but @me is OK

Not sure why my @mac ichat account will not connect, but @me will. Even when I set @me to offline, @mac will post "cannot connect to AIM, general error" bit in OSX Snow Leopard 10.6.8.

Both have identical 443 ports and login.oscar.aol.com servers.

iMac (20-inch Early 2008), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Feb 4, 2012 11:05 AM

1 reply

Feb 5, 2012 3:33 PM in response to dem_z

Hi,

This could be a password issue if your names as two separate ones as far a Apple is concerned.

@mac.com were issued originally with the .Mac service

If you had a Paid for account when MobileMe was launched you could link that two names (As you got given an @me.com name)

For most people it gave you two emails that you could give out and you could collect them from either.

Also as APple IDs they tended to use the Same Password.

If you registered for an @Mac.com trial account it will still work in iChat with the AIM Servers

(In fact any @Mac.com will be valid whether it was Trial, Lapsed or Paiard for and is linked to MobileMe name)

If you have registered since MobileMe came out the chances are that the name is not linked to a MobileMe account (or you may not have linked the two in the beginning (of MobileMe) ) and have a password that is too long (The AIM servers can only cope with those up to 16 characters long).

As far as the AIM Servers are concerned each is a separate Valid ID/Name to use even if you have them Linked at Apple.

You post seems to lean toward them being linked.

We then may be lokking at anther issue that pops up now and then.

This involves the AIM servers not being able to ascertain the Passwords for either the @mac.com names (They contact the @mac.com server) or the @me.com server (the @me.com sever)

The general error points towards the problem being at AIM's end.

User uploaded file
11:33 PM Sunday; February 5, 2012

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Lion 10.7.3)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

@mac will not connect, but @me is OK

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.