Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wallstreet processor upgrade Q.

From what I could learn about the Wallstreet model I have, it seems to be the earlier "MainStreet" 14" 233mhz. with only one RAM slot, no L2 cache, and slower performance.

Having bought two 256 MB memory chips and a 12GB HD for it, I then saw this 266MB processor on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Powerbook-G3-Wallstreet-266mhz-14-Processor-/30055 1872826?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45fa49a13a

My question is, I don't want to spend a fortune, but will this be compatible and give reasonably faster performance, and should I be able to max out the RAM to 512, as expected?

The information supplied by LowEndMacs on the Wallstreet, plus the "Compleat guide to Wallstreet" suggests that these upgrades would have this laptop's performance rival that of later G3's, such as the iBook.

Also, does it make sense to have it dual boot-able? I have discs for OS 9 and for X (Panther) and have read that the Wallstreet functions well in OS 9. It's just that OS X offers more flexibility these days. For this machine, no heavy lifting - no Photoshop or Final Cut...just basically Microsoft Suite, iWork and the Internet.

PS: I found this information on another post in this forum, which seems helpful:

You can install a faster OEM microprocessor card in your Wallstreet but you must know which version of the Wallstreet you have:

-Version 1 shipped with a 233MHz/0K (no backside L2 cache), 250MHz, and 292MHz CPUs.

-Version 2 shipped with a 233MHz/512K, 266MHz, and 300MHz CPUs.

Due to logic board restrictions, Version 2 Wallstreets can only use the microprocessors shipped with them. However, Version 1 Wallstreets can run any of the microprocessors.

IFixit has a decent supply of processor cards for the Powerbook G3 with 250s & 266s going for $20. The higher speeds seem to be in short supply but you can shop around.

http://www.ifixit.com/

Posted on Feb 4, 2012 11:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 4, 2012 11:31 PM

Due to logic board restrictions, Version 2 Wallstreets can only use the microprocessors shipped with them.

Don't know where that came from. I maintain three Wallstreets for a friend and upgraded his 233 v2 to 300 and it made a real difference (BTW, going from 233 to 266, or 266 to 300 is not very spectacular--I've tried it and can't recommend the expense unless it's for hobby or learning purposes).

The only problem I found with the compatibility was that, when I installed the 300 card I also installed a full load of 2x256MB RAM modules. The 300 processor would not work with the set I got from a reputable vendor. They sent more and still no joy. Then I noticed there was a different chip density between the larger upper slot module and the smaller lower slot module. One had eight chips/side, the other had seven. This had no effect on the original 233 card or a spare 266 I had. Both recognized all 512MB.

However, the 300 card refused to boot until I matched the modules so the two cards had the same chip density, and the computer has been running this way for three years without as much as a burp. Doesn't mater if they are 7/side or 8/side as long as both cards are the same density.

As for dual boot, you almost have to set it up anyway. The Wallstreet is an "Old World ROM" Mac and has a limitation on the hard drive if you install OSX. OSX must be in the first partition and that partition must be just under 8GB. So, if you are upgrading to a nice 5400 rpm drive that say 40 GB, you have a lot of room left over. I put OS9 and XPostFacto in the larger second partition and OSX in the first. There was a time when one of my friend's Wallstreets had trouble with its OSX partition. I was able to boot to the OS9 partition and do some disk maintenance from there.

Oh, you cannot install anything higher than OS 10.2.8 without using a helper application, XPostFacto. Use XPostFacto 3.1, an older version, to install OS 10.3.9--it runs much better on a Wallstreet with at least 386MB RAM than did 10.2.8. Tiger 10.4 is, IMHO, pushing it.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 4, 2012 11:31 PM in response to keithgvp

Due to logic board restrictions, Version 2 Wallstreets can only use the microprocessors shipped with them.

Don't know where that came from. I maintain three Wallstreets for a friend and upgraded his 233 v2 to 300 and it made a real difference (BTW, going from 233 to 266, or 266 to 300 is not very spectacular--I've tried it and can't recommend the expense unless it's for hobby or learning purposes).

The only problem I found with the compatibility was that, when I installed the 300 card I also installed a full load of 2x256MB RAM modules. The 300 processor would not work with the set I got from a reputable vendor. They sent more and still no joy. Then I noticed there was a different chip density between the larger upper slot module and the smaller lower slot module. One had eight chips/side, the other had seven. This had no effect on the original 233 card or a spare 266 I had. Both recognized all 512MB.

However, the 300 card refused to boot until I matched the modules so the two cards had the same chip density, and the computer has been running this way for three years without as much as a burp. Doesn't mater if they are 7/side or 8/side as long as both cards are the same density.

As for dual boot, you almost have to set it up anyway. The Wallstreet is an "Old World ROM" Mac and has a limitation on the hard drive if you install OSX. OSX must be in the first partition and that partition must be just under 8GB. So, if you are upgrading to a nice 5400 rpm drive that say 40 GB, you have a lot of room left over. I put OS9 and XPostFacto in the larger second partition and OSX in the first. There was a time when one of my friend's Wallstreets had trouble with its OSX partition. I was able to boot to the OS9 partition and do some disk maintenance from there.

Oh, you cannot install anything higher than OS 10.2.8 without using a helper application, XPostFacto. Use XPostFacto 3.1, an older version, to install OS 10.3.9--it runs much better on a Wallstreet with at least 386MB RAM than did 10.2.8. Tiger 10.4 is, IMHO, pushing it.

Feb 5, 2012 8:15 PM in response to Allan Jones

Allan, thanks so much for your detailed reply, and I hope you're still with this.

I checked again, and sure enough, the 233 card (on what must be a Version 1 machine) does accept a second module on the other side - it's just that it was opposite the first one's position...so not immediately seen.

In regard to compatibilty of modules: In this case, the two 256 MB ones I received from my eBay purchase appear to be different. One has 4 large black rectangular units (the chips?) on its surface, while the other has 8 smaller black rectangles. Both say they are 256MB for PC 100. I'll report back on performance, and whether I can get the full 512 once I get the HD and OS installed and fired up. (and can push it to Panther or Tiger with XpostFacto 3.1

But you're saying it doesn't make much of a difference between the 233 and 266? And that despite one report I read that the 233 was "dog slow" with figures to show comparisions between processors. In which case, I shouldn't bother upgrading the processor? The price is right, but if the added RAM will improve the ability to handle a moderate workload (see above) then a higher processor means what, that operations are faster? I'm a bit confused...

And then there's that L2 cache thing - apparently the 233 has 0 - no cache, while the 266 has the L2, or something like it. Again, what's the advantage?

Anyway, for now, "Correct Answer", and my grateful thanks!

Feb 7, 2012 10:57 AM in response to keithgvp

OK, had a chance to refresh my memory.

There were two "families" of Wallstreets as you have pointed out:

• The first had the Apple name of "PowerBook G3 Series" but was informally called the PowerBook G3 Wallstreet Series I" came with procesor at 233, 250, and 292 and had three screen size options--12.1" (passive matrix), 13.3", and 14.1" (both active matrix). This series was introduced in May 1998. It is this variant in which the 233 has no backside cache.
  • The second bears the Apple name "PowerBook G3 Series (September 1998) but is often called the PowerBook G3 Wallstreet Series II" or the "PDQ." Intro dates are quoted in various sources as August or September 1998. The 13" version was dropped, leaving the 12.1- and 14.1-inch sizes. In these the 233 processor has 512K backside cache.

I've looked all over for a way to differentiate the two and am not having much luck. The ports are all the same and the Gesalt ID is 312 for both in the 14-inch screen size. That leaves checking the serial numberagainst a date of production web site like this:

http://www.appleserialnumberinfo.com/Desktop/index.php

The serial number will return a date that is accurate to the week.

If your 233 is the later "PDQ" version made in or after Sept 1998 then you should have backside cache. It's possible that Apple System Profiler (see the Apple menu in OS9 and earlier) will show the cache. If you have the cache, you likeIy will not see a huge difference in user experince between it and the 266. It's there--any benchmarking programs should see the difference--but my experience in actual use they are not greatly different in that old intangible, "feel." However, if it's a Series I, going from no cache to a meg is probably enough to notice.

BUT...

That raises the question is whether a PDQ processor card will work in a Series I. I can't remember and our best resource on this subject, Cornelius, is currently hospitalized and not likely to be active again here for some time.

Let's start with checking the date of manufacture from the serial number and go from there.

Feb 7, 2012 12:15 PM in response to Allan Jones

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2287?viewlocale=en_US

Thanks, Allan,

The info page at the link you provided doesn't seem go back to Wallstreets, as the entered serial # came up with no results. However, the above link takes us to a laptop identity page on Apple's website.

From here, having entered the Family Number on this WS, which is MA4753, I've learned that it isn't the very first issued, but the series a year later - giving me hope that it's somewhat more powerful (512 backside cache?) or at least its performance would improve with a processor upgrade. You would think that there might be another helpful link to more specific information about this model, but instead, I'll go back to the LowendMac site to have a look.

When I get around to formatting the new drive and installing OS 9 (soon), I can then report on whether the two 256MB RAM modules show up as 512MB or not. I do recall that when the old HD was in there, the System Profiler seemed to indicate that L2 "could not be found" - or somesuch. Again, this machine still has the original 233 mhz card.

Stay tuned.....

k

Feb 7, 2012 1:56 PM in response to keithgvp

Try this site:

http://www.chipmunk.nl/klantenservice/applemodel.html

I just tried that first one with a newer Mac's serial number and it didn't work for me either, but the chipmunk thing did.

Both versions of the Wallstreet have the M4753 model number so maybe the difference is in the order number, but the sources I normally use don't have the order numbers for Wallstreet. I'd looked at teh Apple article but, at least for me, it did not segregate the Series I from the PDQ.

Feb 8, 2012 5:39 PM in response to Allan Jones

This seems to be what our Dutch friends at Chipmunk have to offer: (except that the screen on mine seems to measure 13 and 5/16ths diagonally).

Serial number: CK8*****CWH

Group1: PowerBook

Group2: G3

Generation:

ModelCode:

Model introduced: 1998

Production year: 1998

Production week: 26 (July)

Production number: 855 (within this week)

introduced test: GOED

CPU speed: 233MHz

Family name: M4753

Screen size: 13 inch

I think I did see July inside - maybe stamped under the keyboard - when working on it.

Btw: One could fall in love with the design of this sculpted black WS. It makes you want to rescue it and have it as functional as possible - within limits - like the pleasure of restoring and driving an antique car, I guess.

<Edited by Host>

Feb 8, 2012 2:20 PM in response to Allan Jones

Well, I've got OS 9.0 installed, and have created two partitions, one is around 2GB and the other is 8+ in anticipation of later installing OS X on it (10.2 and then upwards to Panther or Tiger)

As feared, under the Apple System Profiler, I'm only seeing 256MB of memory...although as mentioned, I installed two 256 modules.

While the performance is now perkier than before, when it was only 32MB, I'd still like to see how I could access the other non-appearing RAM.

Looks like another processor is needed...or...?

Under Memory Overview, I'm seeing:

Disk Cache: 7.6MB

Virtual Memory: 257MB

Built-in Memory: 256MB

External L2 Cache: Not installed

If any help, under Hardware Overview:

Machine ID 312

Model Name: Powerbook G3 Series

Machine speed: 233MHz

Thanks for any further help - it's been so long since I dealt with installing systems. I wonder if OS X would function half decently or not with the current memory. Looking through all the 'help' online articles etc. is tiring.

Wallstreet processor upgrade Q.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.