Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Preview: how to find export file size?

Odd that I didn't find a thread on "save-as". Are they squashed?

I lament the loss of "Save as…", but I would be willing to accept the use of "Export…" wholeheartedly if I could predict the file size.

One of the main ways I use Preview is to normalize images without a lot of heady image editing; colour tweaking, size, ratio, resolution, then save JPEG's for use in iTunes cover art. The end of this task was normalizing an image file size as a JPEG. Now, all I see is a slider that gives me a relative file size and no indication of the absolute range I'm working within. The only way I view my desired file size is to export, then use Finder "get info" to see the file size as disk usage.

Is there a way to do this inside the Preview application, as a parameter of exporting, like I did before Lion?

Preview-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Feb 4, 2012 12:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 26, 2014 9:41 AM

Thought I'd complete this thread that I found unresolved.

In subsequent versions, the absolute value is at the bottom of the export dialogue box. If it was there or toggled at the time I asked then I couldn't find it, but it is now so problem solved. Currently running v8.

1 reply

Preview: how to find export file size?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.