Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro Upgrades

Two Questions about upgrading a MBP, seeing i've never done this before, and i am considering doing it if i get a new one.

I Was looking at possibly getting a new Macbook pro:

15" High-Res Display

2.5GHz Quad-Core i7

4GB Ram

1GB VRam

750GB@5400 Hard-Drive

and i was thinking of upgrading after i got instead of purchasing it with upgrades with

16GB Ram

600GB SSD

They're linked to what i was looking at getting.

The hard drive i no more or less will fit and will work and i would just have to get it formatted. but will the new 15" MBPs reckgonize and work with 16GB of ram, i'd really like to to both of these upgrades, and really the ram, because i do alot of photography work, and alot of video work. and i know if i need to get the hard drive formatted i can go to the genius bar and they can do it. i talked to one of them, i just had my current MBP's hard-drive replaced because it started to die.

My Questions are i guess, will both of these upgrades work with a new 15" MBP. i've seen that replacing both of these in a MBP are very easy and simple.

i know that doing this will mean that on my ram and on my hard drive that there wont be a warranty.

If not i would consider getting it with 8GB preinstalled.

Thank You.

15" MacBook Pro (Mid 2009)-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7.2), Intel Core Duo 3.06GHz 500GB@7200Rpm Hard Drive 4Gb Ram

Posted on Feb 4, 2012 1:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 4, 2012 1:23 PM

Both should be fine.

4 replies

Feb 4, 2012 1:48 PM in response to wjosten

wjosten wrote:

Don't purchase your RAM from Apple. For the cost of their 8GB's, you could almost purchase 16GB's from OWC. Also, unless you really need that 2.5, you could save even more money.

Both of those upgrades i listed and hyperlinked were from OWC 🙂. i was hoping to get that 600GB SSD from OWC because the one that you can put in if you build on apples website only goes to 512GB. so that one is bigger, and for not much more. and yea i know about the ram its better to buy else where. but i was wondering if that 16GB ram would work.

Thank you, eww.

Two Questions about upgrading a MBP, seeing i've never done this before, and i am considering doing it if i get a new one.

I Was looking at possibly getting a new Macbook pro:

15" High-Res Display

2.5GHz Quad-Core i7

4GB Ram

1GB VRam

750GB@5400 Hard-Drive

and i was thinking of upgrading after i got instead of purchasing it with upgrades with

16GB Ram

600GB SSD

They're linked to what i was looking at getting.

The hard drive i no more or less will fit and will work and i would just have to get it formatted. but will the new 15" MBPs reckgonize and work with 16GB of ram, i'd really like to to both of these upgrades, and really the ram, because i do alot of photography work, and alot of video work. and i know if i need to get the hard drive formatted i can go to the genius bar and they can do it. i talked to one of them, i just had my current MBP's hard-drive replaced because it started to die.

My Questions are i guess, will both of these upgrades work with a new 15" MBP. i've seen that replacing both of these in a MBP are very easy and simple.

i know that doing this will mean that on my ram and on my hard drive that there wont be a warranty.

If not i would consider getting it with 8GB preinstalled.

Thank You.

MacBook Pro Upgrades

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.