Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I just got this PowerPC G4 (800mhz, 256mb) ,

it's really cute, but doesn't seem to be able to do much on the internet. is it because it is so old? I am hoping to use it as an extra computer.

it has 10.3.9, what are the limitations of this computer.

Mac OS X (10.3.x)

Posted on Feb 4, 2012 3:01 PM

2 replies

Feb 4, 2012 5:25 PM in response to dcmac1

what your computer will support is 10.4 but this would only really be feasible if you upgrade your memory. these two additions will get you a more useful internet experience but still would be behind the times and day by day falling further behind the times. it is a battle you will lose if you fight with conventional weapons. but all is not lost. my suggestion? use the "cute" imac for digital pictures, letter writing, music, just about anything except internet browsing. get yourself an ipad for internet and set it next to your keyboard and your imac will never become obsolete. your ipad may someday. don't waste money upgrading the imac. and if you have a piece of software on it that you really like avoid the temptation to upgrade it to the newest version. it probably wouldn't be compatible anyway. buy peripherals wisely, ipods and printers etc. that were designed to be compatible with this machine. for example, you want an ipod that will sync by firewire since you don't have usb 2. this will often mean buying used. if you want a truly unique experience these days see if your computer will boot up in os9. i have an imac 800 and mine will. this same philosophy will also apply to imac g3's.

myself? i am perfectly happy with itunes 6 and iphoto1.1. even itunes 2 is usable in os9.

I just got this PowerPC G4 (800mhz, 256mb) ,

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.