Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Permission denied by folders in Time Machine, How can I fix this?

I had troubles after installing Lion. So I did clean install the Lion.

But older files I created with my Mac in Time Machine are not accessible.

Now, I figured out that I can locate the files. But I can't access data of Time Machine made with previous Admin account.

It says that I don't have permission, and it shows the stop sign icon on those folders.

I can I change the permission?

Does Disk Unitiy work to change this situation?

(I can access data after I the installation fine. I can see all the files and timeline from the beginning. )

My Mac: Macbook Pro 15 inch, 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Systam: Lion 10.7.3.

MacBookPro/iMacG4, Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Posted on Feb 4, 2012 6:20 PM

4 replies

Feb 5, 2012 5:39 PM in response to HawkTJ

HawkTJ wrote:

. . .

I can't access data of Time Machine made with previous Admin account.

That's the problem. One user, even an Admin user, doesn't normally have access to another user's data.

It's a different cause, but the situation is the same as in the pink box of Problems after using Migration Assistant

Your best bet will be to create another user account (or accounts); one of them should be able to access the backups.

(You won't be able to migrate the old account, since you've done new backups and Migration Assistant only works with the most recent backup.)

Mar 16, 2015 9:09 AM in response to Pondini

I'm running OS X 10.10.1

Naturally I don't if anything has changed since 10.5 as this is an old post.

I have just opened up 2 windows and moved the "Restriced folder" to the root DIR of the Backup HDD. The OS prompts for my current Admin Password. Once transferred you automatically gain access to that folder.

Permission denied by folders in Time Machine, How can I fix this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.