Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Documents cannot be saved after first save.

Hello

I am unable to save documents created on Pages and Textedit on my main "Macintosh HD" after the first save. If I create a document, save it then edit it and try to save again it comes up with

"This document "test" could not be saved"

No extra info other than that message.

User uploaded file

If I try to save onto my second drive, " Macintosh HD 2" (the non-boot drive) it works fine.

I have

1/ checked read and write permissions and my Macintosh HD and they are set for "read & write"

2/ I have repaired disk premissions using Disc Utilities to no avail

3/ booted using Cmd - R and used terminal and applied "reset home directory permissions and ACL's" to no avail.

I would like to fix this, can anyone help?

Thx

iMac, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Feb 4, 2012 6:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 4, 2012 8:07 PM

Sounds like the (hidden) Versions database is damaged. Can you save, then change, a file made with another app (that doesn't use Versions)?

Try Verifying Macintosh HD, per #6 in Using Disk Utility.

If that doesn't help, do you have other files made previously with those or other apps that use Versions? If so, can you browse the older versions, via the Versions Browser (click to the right of the file name in the window and choose Browse all Versions)?

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 4, 2012 8:07 PM in response to Lerxt

Sounds like the (hidden) Versions database is damaged. Can you save, then change, a file made with another app (that doesn't use Versions)?

Try Verifying Macintosh HD, per #6 in Using Disk Utility.

If that doesn't help, do you have other files made previously with those or other apps that use Versions? If so, can you browse the older versions, via the Versions Browser (click to the right of the file name in the window and choose Browse all Versions)?

Feb 5, 2012 12:08 AM in response to Pondini

Thanks for the reply Pondini.

to answer your first question I can save, change and save a document made with both Open Office and Microsoft Office with out problem.

I tried Verifying as per #6 to no avail.

I do have older version of my files on HD 2 but I would like to fix saving on the boot disck , HD 1. Most of my recent documents have no version history.

Feb 5, 2012 7:49 AM in response to Lerxt

Lerxt wrote:

Thanks for the reply Pondini.

to answer your first question I can save, change and save a document made with both Open Office and Microsoft Office with out problem.

I tried Verifying as per #6 to no avail.

I do have older version of my files on HD 2 but I would like to fix saving on the boot disck , HD 1. Most of my recent documents have no version history.

That seems to confirm the theory that the Versions database is damaged internally, in a way Disk Utility couldn't find, much less fix.

Since it's hidden, the first thing you have to do is see hidden items. The easiest way to to that is via the TinkerTool app. See #A3 in Time Machine - Troubleshooting for download and instructions.

Once you can see hidden files, open your internal HD via the Finder. There will be a number of hidden files at the top level. The one you want is probably listed first:

.DocumentRevisions-V101 Do not touch anything else!

Delete it (move to the trash). You'll have to enter your Admin password.

Then empty the trash and Restart your Mac.

Mar 13, 2012 2:13 PM in response to Lerxt

Hi Pondini

I am a new bee!

I am having problem with one document over 40MB and am having the same problem not being able to save. I have to rename it and sometime it worked and sometime it don't! It comes up with different messages - cannot write to disk, format the disk etc. I thought it was the RAM or Hard disk problem and it cost me A$66 to find that out it is not. Any solutions? Thanks.

Mar 13, 2012 2:22 PM in response to pl1985

pl1985 wrote:

Hi Pondini

I am a new bee!

I am having problem with one document over 40MB and am having the same problem not being able to save. I have to rename it and sometime it worked and sometime it don't! It comes up with different messages - cannot write to disk, format the disk etc.

Is the document on your internal HD (in the same partition as OSX)? If not, where is it, and how is that drive/partition formatted?

Next time this happens, take screenshots of the messages and post them here.

I thought it was the RAM or Hard disk problem and it cost me A$66 to find that out it is not.

Who charged you A$66 and for what?

Mar 13, 2012 2:46 PM in response to Pondini

Thanks for you quick response.

The Doc is in internal HD (I have tried to same into my Time Machine and it was the same).

I have just tried inserting a graphic and the message is:

You cannot save while the file is in use by another process. Try saving the file with a new name.

The tech service department from an IT company who is the service and agent for Apple charge me!

Mar 13, 2012 3:11 PM in response to pl1985

pl1985 wrote:

. . .

(I have tried to same into my Time Machine and it was the same).

You cannot change files in your Time Machine backups. You can browse some types, but you can't use your backed-up files with normal apps.

I have just tried inserting a graphic and the message is:

You cannot save while the file is in use by another process. Try saving the file with a new name.

Is that the message you get when trying to save a version? What app are you using?

Do you have the file open with a different app? (Again, a screeprint of the message would be helpful.)

Is this happening when you try to save a file for the first time, or when you're trying to save a Version?

Or when you Duplicate a file and try to save the duplicate?

Can you save other files made by the same app?

The tech service department from an IT company who is the service and agent for Apple charge me!

What did they do? How old is your Mac? Do you have AppleCare (if it's available there)?

Documents cannot be saved after first save.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.