Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPod classic 160gb isn't doing what iPods were supposed to do: Play Music

A few months back, I learned that my iPod had been completely wiped of all of my music, and refused to sync to my computer again. After two months of musicless agony, I decided to try again. The iPod took my music, but numerous songs were corrupted. Once I tried to reconnect my iPod to my computer, it completely wiped my music again. Now, when I try to sync my iPod, it freezes and gives error messages, and wipes it again. I have restored my iPod a dozen times, and have tried every other method I could think of, sans buying a new one or sending it in to be repaired. It has led to many nights of frustration, and I am sick and tired of this happening. Hopefully, someone in this community has a solution. My thanks in advance.

iPod classic 160GB (Late 2009), Windows Vista

Posted on Feb 4, 2012 10:28 PM

1 reply

Feb 7, 2012 5:40 PM in response to jessirosa

Antivirus has a tendency to freeze iTunes sync Operation with iPod Classic, causing a timeout, which corrupt your iPod filesystem, so when iTunes can't read the iPod, it is pointing to this problem. Other causes is when your iPod hardisk is dying, or your battery is dying causing hardisk crashes.

My suggestion.

1. Connect your iPod to the PC and run chkdsk, to fix any iPod diskerror, then disconnect it, after chkdsk complete.
  2. Disconnect your PC from Internet. (just to make sure no nasties creep into your system while you syncing.
  3. Stop the Antivirus program
  4. Connect your iPod to the PC, using a high speed USB 2.0 port at the back of your PC and never to a USB hub. Disconnect all USB devices (except your mouse)
  5. When iTunes Open up, Restore your iPod please, this is for iTunes to map correctly, to fix the corrupted filesystem.
  6. When Restore complete, eject the iPod and reconnect again.
  7. Sync your ipod, preferably manually Manage in small batches and disconnect after every batch, to check that all is well.

When all sync is complete, and iPod disconnected, start back your Antivirus and connect back the Internet.

Good Luck!

My iPod classic 160gb isn't doing what iPods were supposed to do: Play Music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.