Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I get Safari to display the URL?

I was using Safari 5.1.3 and, for some reason, the URL no longer shows in the address bar. How do I get the URL/address to show in the address bar?

Posted on Feb 4, 2012 11:48 PM

12 replies

Jan 8, 2013 10:45 AM in response to BerlinIO

I think the question was that the URL doesn't appear in the address bar. Not, the address bar doesn't appear at all. Safari will not show the current URL in the address bar which has significantly cripled my ability to do my work on webpages using CMS scripts. Is there a workaround that works just as well? I haven't been able to find any settings that would affect the address bar's text box display.

May 6, 2014 4:56 AM in response to CREAMASTER

I think Apple's strategy is clear: eventually the address bar will disappear and you'll just use links or bookmarks. The address bar will be entirely replaced by a search field, you'll no more type in a URL into Safari than type a directory path into the Finder.

And at that point they can make merge Safari and iTunes. Takes me back to eWorld, where Apple tried to control your entire WWW experience (as did AOL and Microsoft at the time).

Mar 4, 2016 11:50 PM in response to Amahl2442

I absolutely second your opinion, Amahl — Apple has oversimplified a number of features and it's awful.

This awful new trends violates Einstein's maxim of make everything as simple as possible – but no simpler.

Apple!: don't make it look like a kid's display or a wife's iPad — make that garbage an option if you must, but dropping all the shadows, losing all button colors, and going to chintzy Play-Mobil sans-serif fonts like Google has stupidly done just makes it look like a crappy Microsoft Surface product.

Be Apple. You guys do you, let the morons go do themselves.

Egad.

How do I get Safari to display the URL?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.