3 Replies Latest reply: May 9, 2012 11:01 AM by David Wilkinson6
jrperser Level 1 Level 1 (20 points)

Time machine is pointing to an external 2TB Seagate USB drive with 1TB partitioned for TM backups.  Time machine appears to backup correctly, going through the motions.  I look at the time stamp on the sparse bundle and it is in sync with the backups occuring.

When I select "Enter Time Machine" from the menu bar icon nothing happens.  Time machine doesn't launch, I don't see a process kick off in Activity Monitor or if I run top in a terminal window. 

I would remove the app to see if that fixes the problem but I'm not sure how to restore it if I do.

I've done the Time Machine 'reset' procedure on the Pondini site (thanks) along with running Disk Util to repair the backup disk.

I'm a little stumped on this one.  I really hate the idea of completely re-installing Lion.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2)
  • Pondini Level 8 Level 8 (38,715 points)

Try the things in #E4 of Time Machine - Troubleshooting.

• jrperser Level 1 Level 1 (20 points)

I figured out what the problem was.  When I started using the drive as a Time Machine backup, I just plugged it in without taking a look at the partioning other than size.  What I had was a couple of partitions that were both formatted as MSDOS and not with GUID.  Although Time Machine will happily write to a MSDOS partitition, it doesn't seem to want to use it when you try and launch time machine.

I had done a couple of successful repairs with no errors so I ruled that out.

I repartitioned the drive, let Time Machine do a backup to the new GUID journaled FS and it worked straight away.  I'm sure there is an Apple manual that says make sure you're drive is GUID journaled but I didn't put 2 and 2 together.

All seems happy now.

• David Wilkinson6 Level 1 Level 1 (15 points)

Same problem.  Thank you