Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Setting up a (non) Wifi Printer (via Time Capsule)?

Can anyone give me a little bit of help on printing from my MacBookPro to a Wifi or non-Wifi printer?

I have a HP 8600 (Wifi) and a Epson (non-Wifi connected via Ethernet to my MacPro).

Is it possible to print to the Epson from the MacBookPro via Wifi? Can I plug it into the Time Capsule (instead of the MacPro) and make this happen?

Thanks,

Jonathan

Posted on Feb 5, 2012 11:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2012 6:12 PM

hotwheels 22 wrote:

Is it possible to print to the Epson from the MacBookPro via Wifi? Can I plug it into the Time Capsule (instead of the MacPro) and make this happen?

Connecting the printer to the Time Capsule via Ethernet will allow you to print from your MBPro via wireless. In fact, this would be the preferred method, as it would not rely on the Mac Pro being on or awake at all times so that the MBPro can print.

The key is that you set the printer to DHCP with it connected to the Time Capsule Ethernet port, assuming that the Time Capsule is the main wireless router for your network. With the printer set to DHCP, it will obtain the correct IP address for your network and permit you to add the printer queue again on the MBPro.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 5, 2012 6:12 PM in response to hotwheels22

hotwheels 22 wrote:

Connecting the printer to the Time Capsule via Ethernet will allow you to print from your MBPro via wireless. In fact, this would be the preferred method, as it would not rely on the Mac Pro being on or awake at all times so that the MBPro can print.

The key is that you set the printer to DHCP with it connected to the Time Capsule Ethernet port, assuming that the Time Capsule is the main wireless router for your network. With the printer set to DHCP, it will obtain the correct IP address for your network and permit you to add the printer queue again on the MBPro.

Feb 6, 2012 10:13 AM in response to PAHU

I PAHU.

Thank you.

Can I please follow up with you on this? I see that I have two printers and that I have the HP 8600 (all in one) plugged into the TC via Ethernet. There are three other ethernet spots on this TC and one goes to the Mac Pro and the third goes to the Ethernet In. I /try/ and keep the fourth available so that I can plug into my MacBook when I turn off Wifi to move large amounts of data around...

Is it possible there is a way to get the TC to /both/ the HP 8600 and the Epson 1100? I mean, can I network from the Espon to the HP to the TC in some way? I also have my phone/fax going in to the HP 8600 - but it would be great to be albe to print to the Epson from the MBP.

I guess the deal is that it needs to be seen by the TC?

Can I get an Ethernet "splitter" to the TWO machines?? Can I plug the Epson in via USB to the TC with the open USB slot??

THANKS

Feb 6, 2012 2:04 PM in response to hotwheels22

hotwheels 22 wrote:

I mean, can I network from the Espon to the HP to the TC in some way?

This is not possible. You cannot connect the Epson to the HP and then the HP to the TC. But there is no need. With the HP supporting wifi, it can connect to the TC via wireless and the Epson can connect to the TC via Ethernet cable (assuming you are saying that there is spare Ethernet socket on the TC that the Epson can use).

hotwheels 22 wrote:

Can I get an Ethernet "splitter" to the TWO machines?? Can I plug the Epson in via USB to the TC with the open USB slot??

If you wanted the HP to use Ethernet instead of wireless, and you only wanted to use one Ethernet port on the TC, then you could purchase a 4 port Ethernet hub. One of the Ethernet ports on the hub would connect to the Ethernet port on the TC, leaving you with 3 ports on the hub for the two printers and maybe even the MBPro when you wanted to do those large volume downloads.

Or, as you mention, you could use the USB port of the Epson instead of the Ethernet port and connect this to the USB port on the TC. This would work fine as well and save you from having to buy a hub.

But, I really think your best action would be to leave the HP connected to the TC via wireless and connect the Epson to the TC via Ethernet. As mentioned before, this would require you to change the configuration on the Epson to obtain an IP address from the TC, rather than use whatever setting you had configured in the Epson when it was connected to the Pro. But if this changing of the network settings is difficult for you then connecting the Epson's USB port to the TC would be the easiest action.

Feb 6, 2012 3:42 PM in response to PAHU

Hi PAHU. You're great. THANKS.

I totally get it now. Can I just ask you for one thing on the 8600? I mean, it /is/ connected now via Ethernet to the TC but I am pretty sure you are indicating that I can free up an Ethernet slot if I wanted by connecting the 8600 by WIFI to the TC? I mean, I guess this involves a little work including the static IP that you mentioned (?) - but in terms of functionality my MBP and the MacPro and everything would pretty much work the same as it does now, is that right?

And the Epson, as long as I plug it into the TC via USB it will /also/ present itself to both the MacPro and the MBP one as a wired connection and the other (the MBP) as a Wireless connection - yes?

Feb 6, 2012 3:58 PM in response to hotwheels22

hotwheels 22 wrote:

I mean, it /is/ connected now via Ethernet to the TC but I am pretty sure you are indicating that I can free up an Ethernet slot if I wanted by connecting the 8600 by WIFI to the TC? I mean, I guess this involves a little work including the static IP that you mentioned (?) - but in terms of functionality my MBP and the MacPro and everything would pretty much work the same as it does now, is that right?

Yes. If you decide to connect the 8600 via wireless to the TC instead of Ethernet you will free one Ethernet port on the TC and should have the same level of control and operation of the printer from both Mac's as you have now with the printer using the Ethernet port. The key is to configure the network settings in the printer to use the wireless network instead of the wired network. And with these wireless network settings configured and the printer connected to your wireless network, you will have to remove the existing print queue in both Mac's, as they are set to print to the Ethernet connected printer, and create a new print queue for the wireless connected printer.

hotwheels 22 wrote:

And the Epson, as long as I plug it into the TC via USB it will /also/ present itself to both the MacPro and the MBP one as a wired connection and the other (the MBP) as a Wireless connection - yes?

If the MacPro and one MBP are connecting to your network via Ethernet, then having the Epson connected to the USB port of the TC will still make it appear as a networked device to the Mac's. And like the HP, with you changing how the printer is currently connected to your network, you will have to remove the existing print queue on both of these wired Mac's and add it again, now for the USB > TC connected printer. But for the MBPro that is using wireless instead of wired, then it should still keep working as it is now.

Hope this helps. If not, no problems with asking more questions.

Apr 5, 2015 10:43 AM in response to PAHU

hi PAHU.

a follow up please as i try and tackle this? somehow i see that my wifi printers have dropped off my iPhone and it seems like i need to get in and redo everything. i have the two regular format HP printers and a Epson large format printer.

right now i have:

the EPSON large format via ethernet into the Time Capsule

the newer HP via USB into the Time Capsule

the older HP via Wifi

i have deleted any printer icon that references my macbook pro or my mac pro in quotes so i just have the three icons in Printer Settings.

and i am reading this thread and seeing "DHCP" and other suggestions and i am wondering do you recommend i just DISCONNECT everything, delete all the printer icons and ADD new printers via this dialog and check DHCP? and in this way it will set up the printers via Wifi and all of them will be available via wifi to my other devices irrespective of whether my mac pro is on or is booted into windows?

is there any reason to get into anything with static IP addresses?

is there a good way to print from my iPhone when away from my wireless network - for instance if i get an email i want to print? HP has this email address thing but it is sort of clunky and not so convenient.

THANKS!

Apr 5, 2015 11:01 PM in response to hotwheels22

Hello again.

With your current setup I would recommend you set the Epson large format and the older HP connecting via wifi to DHCP. This action will let the Time Capsule allocate an IP address that is not being used by other devices that are also connecting to the Time Capsule - either via Ethernet or wifi. And it will also let all devices print to any printer regardless of the Mac Pro being on or booted into Windows.

As for the new HP that is connected via USB to the Time Capsule, you do not need to make any network setting to this printer. The Time Capsule will share the USB connection to the HP via Bonjour, meaning that other computers including iOS devices will see the advertised printer.

Once you have configured the Epson and old HP to DHCP, please restart them so that they can obtain an IP address from the Time Capsule. With this completed, you can remove their printer icon from the Printers preference pane and add them again, as they may now have a different IP address and the current printer will not work if that is the case. Note that the new HP attached via USB to the Time Capsule will not have changed, so there should be no need to remove it from the Printers preference pane and add again. It should just work as before.

Re the question regarding static IP, there should be no need to do this providing all devices on your network can communicate with the Time Capsule router to obtain an IP address for your network. It is only when a device has an issue with using DHCP that you may need to play with static IP's.

As for printing from the iPhone when you are away from your wireless network, the email approach is easier and safer if you can get it working. Apple has the Back to My Mac service with the Airport routers but I don't think you can use this service to print - even to the USB connected printer - and reading the specs I think you cannot use it with the iPhone. And for the Mac I think you need to have OS X 10.7.4 minimum. The other option would be to have some sort of VPN service that you can securely connect to when you're not home. I use this from home to my company's servers using Cisco AnyConnect but have never set such a thing up to access my home Mac or printer from my iPhone when I'm out. So if you cannot get the HP email thing to work then try creating a new post about this topic.

Setting up a (non) Wifi Printer (via Time Capsule)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.