Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Strange message

Looking at Console I see very long strings of the same thing, "waiting the veneer insert" Can anyone explain this please?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Feb 5, 2012 5:38 PM

19 replies

Feb 5, 2012 7:04 PM in response to ilim

I think it is a log message from some third-party software you installed. If you really want to find out post the filenames from the following folders. Perhaps it can be narrowed down from these.

your Accounts login items

~/Library/LaunchAgents (i.e., in your home directory)

/Library/LaunchAgents

/Library/LaunchDaemons

/Library/StartupItems

Feb 5, 2012 7:49 PM in response to X423424X

I looked in all the places you mentioned and didn't see anything so unusual. I did however notice looking back at the console log that the first message in the list is often "insert ! !" or "nsert !" or " (C) 2004_2008 HUAWEI Technologies Co. , Ltd. All rights reserved. " I'm beginning to think it's coming from a T-Mobile hotspot device I returned. I bet I didn't remove all the software bits and pieces. I'll look and see what I can find.

Thanks for the tip.

Feb 5, 2012 9:30 PM in response to X423424X

OK, in my user library Launch Agents I have Apple CS config.me . In the system library Launch Agents there are plist files from edu.mit.Kerberos.CCache server, and KerberosAgent and openbsd.ssh-agent org.x.startx. little snitch, adobe, wacom, macosforge X , USB snapper. In Launch Daemons,

at.obdev.littlesnitchd.plist: com.apple.third_party_32b_kext_logger.plist com.barebones.textwrangler.plist com.bresink.system.securityagent3.plist, de.jinx.SmartSleepDaemon.plist, Under System/Library/StartupItems there isn't anything in the folder. I can see if invisible files are there and they aren't.

In System/Library/Launch Daemons I have: at.obdev.littlesnitchd.plist com.apple.third_party_32b_kext_logger.plist, com.barebones.textwrangler.plist, com.bresink.system.securityagent3.plist, de.jinx.SmartSleepDaemon.plist

What are you looking for? I sure don't understand how plist files can be causing this strange string to generate over and over. I mean, "waiting the veneer insert" repeating 500 times and then fifteen minutes later doing the same thing again just seems a waste of resources.

Feb 5, 2012 9:48 PM in response to ilim

Quick reply -- they are not just plists in the preference sense (although they are xml files like most plists). These are files which are looked at boot time which direct various agents and daemons to execute as part of the boot process.

That was a quick reply because I'm still looking at the items you listed.

Feb 5, 2012 9:43 PM in response to ilim

That description of your agents and daemons is hard to follow. So instead use terminal and post the output from the following four commands (cut/paste them into terminal). Just post the terminal output.

ls -l ~/Library/LaunchAgents

ls -l /Library/LaunchAgents

ls -l /Library/LauncDaemons

ls -l /Library/StartupItems

Feb 5, 2012 9:49 PM in response to X423424X

I guess that because I see the Huawei copyright piece at the start of the repeating string every third time or so and because the original "hotspot" had some very poor firmware which allowed the new owner to change the hotspot's name and password once and then locked them out for ever... really, the help desk response was to advise me to return the unit and continue doing so until I got a "good one", well that just didn't inspire confidence in Huawei. So I want to find my solution at their door but they aren't represented so far as I can recognize in the .plist files or in the launch agents.

Feb 5, 2012 10:04 PM in response to X423424X

ls -l ~/Library/LaunchAgents: Mar 31 2010 com.apple.CSConfigDotMacCert-#####@me.com-SharedServices.Agent.plist

ls -l /Library/LaunchAgents

total 24

-r--r--r-- 1 root wheel 460 Aug 26 14:55 at.obdev.LittleSnitchNetworkMonitor.plist

-r--r--r-- 1 root wheel 437 Aug 26 14:55 at.obdev.LittleSnitchUIAgent.plist

-rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 591 Apr 8 2010 com.adobe.CS4ServiceManager.plist

ls: /Library/LauncDaemons: No such file or directory

ls -l /Library/StartupItems

total 0

drwxr-xr-x 7 root wheel 238 Nov 10 17:23 HWPortDetect_driver

drwxr-xr-x 6 root wheel 204 Nov 10 17:23 HW_CreateNetwork

Feb 5, 2012 10:14 PM in response to ilim

Remove the two items in /Library/StartupItems and I think your "strange message" will no longer be reported in the log.

Reboot after removal. Just taking them out of StarupItems is sufficient. Whether you trash them or not is your choice.

D@mn, I made a typo, so for the sake of completeness:

ls -l /Library/LaunchDaemons

I left the "h" out of LaunchDaemons. Just want to make sure what's in there but I pretty sure its the StartupItems that are the problem.

Feb 5, 2012 10:29 PM in response to ilim

Based on that HWPortDetect_driver you have in StartupItems I did a little google searching and found a page that documents on hpw to remove all the other stuff that would have been installed when it was installed. Basically here's the other stuff that page mentions:

/Library/Modem Scripts/HUAWEI Mobile Connect - 3G Modem

/System/Library/Extensions/HuaweiDataCardDriver.kext

/System/Library/Extensions/USBExpressCardCanWake_Huawei.kext

Strange message

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.