Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My trash can shows empty and other issues with it...

Ok basically, if i delete anything on my mac it should go to my trash can right?

Well i have a few problems with that as follows:

1. Everytime i delete something or move something to the trash it asks me to enter my password everytime, then deletes it, this never used to happen and now all of a sudden it does, this started just before the latest lion update and ive tried everything i know to stop it doing it but failed.

2. When i do delete something, the trash can shows empty on my desktop, and when i open the trash there is nothing inside, so im not able to restore anything if required, so basically if i move anything to trash it just gets permanently deleted instead of storing it in trash first, again this started just before the latest lion update.

I was hoping the update would fix this issue but didnt change it what so ever, i have also tried repairing disk permissions and still no change.

Any ideas on what i can do to fix these problems? Im still new to mac so i dont know all the ins and outs, but any help on this would be appreciated.

Cheers all,

Carl

Mac mini (Mid 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Feb 5, 2012 7:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2012 7:16 PM

Run Disc Utility in the Utility folder to start....

Then repair permissions..

There's some other solutions for this as well, just can't seem to remember at the moment.

8 replies

Feb 5, 2012 7:26 PM in response to HACKINT0SH

I ran disk utility and tried repairing disk permissions with no luck, i even tried to just repair disk which also changed nothing.

I relaunched finder and even restarted my mac after with no changes, but i did find that if i use a guest account the trash works just fine, its only on my admin account that i have these problems.

Appreciate the help, thanks.

Feb 5, 2012 7:52 PM in response to PAHU

I had "Show warning before emptying trash" enabled, but "Empty trash securely" was disabled, however ive disabled and enabled both and still no luck, i also relaunched finder after any changes again.

Basically the prompt pops up saying "Finder wants to make changes, type your password to allow this" and then ofcourse nothing shows in my trash.

It has to be something to do with permissions so im gonna have to keep looking, its bound to be something so simple.

Again thanks for the help.

Feb 5, 2012 8:02 PM in response to webfireworx

Boot from your recovery partition by holding down the key combination command-R at startup. Release the keys when you see a gray screen with a spinning dial.

When the recovery desktop appears, select Utilities ▹ Terminal from the menu bar.

In the Terminal window, enter “resetpassword” (without the quotes) and press return. A Reset Password window opens.

Select your boot volume if not already selected.

Select your username from the menu labeled Select the user account if not already selected.

Under Reset Home Directory Permissions and ACLs, click the Reset button.

Select ▹ Restart from the menu bar.

Feb 5, 2012 8:16 PM in response to webfireworx

If you select a file in your user Documents folder and open the Get Info pane (Command I or File > Get Info), under the Sharing & Permissions section, does it show you with Read & Write priveleges? And if it does, do you get the prompt when you try to trash this?

Message was edited by: PAHU Woops - took too long to reply. I see that Linc has solved the issue for you.

Feb 5, 2012 8:20 PM in response to Linc Davis

Well that worked perfect, all the items that i deleted have appeard in my trash, so i havnt even lost anything if i wanted to recover it.

My trash now also shows full on the desktop and doesnt give me a prompt when i detele or move an item to the trash.

Ive also learned something new with my mac system which will help in the future im sure.

Thankyou to all who offered your help and advice, it is greatly appreciated indeed.

All the best,

Carl

My trash can shows empty and other issues with it...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.