Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

System requirements for Motion 5?

Hi,

I've been looking through the forums, but can't seem to find a clear answer about the specs for Motion 5. My MacBook Pro (purchased in September 2008) can, apparently, be set to operate as a 64-bit system. I've never set it to run that way, since I never needed it.

What I'm wondering is if Motion 5 will run on my computer in 32-bit mode, or if I'll need to set it to run as a 64-bit system?

Any help/advice you can offer would be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

Vixter

MacBook Pro, Final Cut Express

Posted on Feb 5, 2012 8:08 PM

10 replies

Feb 5, 2012 8:52 PM in response to K T

Thanks for your response, KT. Though, I'm anything but a techie, and am still not sure if my computer will run Motion 5. In fact, I'm not even sure it will run the OS needed to run Motion 5, i.e. 10.6.8

Is "64-bit" the only requirement that is needed to run 10.6.8 ? Or are there other specs as well?

As I mentioned, my MacBook Pro is capable of running in 64-bit mode (that's what the salesman told me, but at the time, it meant nothing to me. Now, I'm wondering if that added "feature" will allow me to upgrade to 10.6.8 and, furthermore, to run Motion 5).

Any thoughts?

Thanks again.

Vixter

Feb 6, 2012 10:04 AM in response to Mark Spencer4

Thanks, Mark.

I've visited the link you posted, but there still seems to be some discrepancy. For example, it says that the

GeForce 8600M GT graphics card doesn't support Motion 5. However, it says that that particular card shipped in late 2007 and that the speed is 2.4/2.2GHz; my computer shipped in early 2008 and the speed is 2.5GHz. I'm hoping the slight difference means that my Mac can handle Motion 5.

Below are the specs of my MacBook Pro. Can you offer any insight as to whether my machine can run Motion 5?

(I'm really non-technical, and would appreciate any advice/help)

Thanks very much. Here are the specs of my machine:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro4,1

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.5 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 6 MB

Memory: 4 GB

Bus Speed: 800 MHz

Boot ROM Version: MBP41.00C1.B03

SMC Version (system): 1.27f3

Serial Number (system): W88331EYYK0

Hardware UUID: 516C5AB6-6E9E-5786-BED0-539A5A613700

Sudden Motion Sensor:

State: Enabled

Graphics/Displays:

GeForce 8600M GT:

Chipset Model: GeForce 8600M GT

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 512 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0407

Revision ID: 0x00a1

ROM Revision: 3212

Displays:

Color LCD:

Resolution: 1440 x 900

Depth: 32-Bit Color

Core Image: Hardware Accelerated

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

Built-In: Yes

SyncMaster:

Resolution: 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz

Depth: 32-Bit Color

Core Image: Hardware Accelerated

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

Rotation: Supported

Thanks very much,

Vic

Feb 6, 2012 1:54 PM in response to Alan Apple Mac

Thanks so much for that info, Alan. I'm psyched! I would really like to be able to use Motion in my productions. Can I ask a few questions:

1.) Which OS are you using? (I'm using Leopard, and I believe I am able to upgrade to Snow Leopard, thereby enabling me to use Motion 5)

2.) Is your system 64-bit? (Note: my MacBook Pro can, apparently, run at 64-bit... though I've never started it up in that mode.

3.) Is your OS natively 64-bit, or are you required to re-start in 64-bit mode in order to use Motion?

Thank you again!

Vic

Feb 6, 2012 2:16 PM in response to Vixter101

1) MAC OS X SL 10.6.8

2) 64Bit & 32Bit if that makes sense (I have a mixture of programs according to my system profile).

3) TMy MacBook Pro is the same as yours as far as I can remember but I have Snow Leopard installed. No special startup or anything. I have FCS3 installed too as well as Motion 5 (No FCP X). I use Motion 5 for standalone projects still but reverts to FCP5 & Motion 4 for actual offsite work as they talk to each other 🙂.

Hope that helps.

Alan

System requirements for Motion 5?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.