Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

App icons are grey on iPhone

User uploaded file

So there's my issue. I have a 64GB iPhone 4S stock, not jailbroken, v5.0.1, iTunes 10.5.3 on iMac7,1 with OSX 10.5.8.

My phone was acting weird, random reboots, screen going dark, and other strangeness. So I did a restore on my phone and after the sync I noticed some icons turned grey. I then did the DFU restore and still no luck. When apps are synched from iTunes they appear grey. However they still function. But if I remove them from the phone and then go into the appstore on the phone to redownload them the icons appear fine. I don't consider this to be a solution because of the number of apps I have this would be a tedious endevour. Also this is an issue that shouldn't have happened and I don't want to go through that kind of effort to have this happen again.

So any suggestions or similar experiences with fixes would be great.

Posted on Feb 5, 2012 8:53 PM

5 replies

Feb 5, 2012 11:29 PM in response to Alopeke

Alopeke wrote:

My phone was acting weird, random reboots, screen going dark, and other strangeness.

Do you have any utility apps to check the available RAM (random access memory) on your iPhone?

Well I used an app called "RAM Doctor lite" on a 4S and used the optimisation option which is simply used to free ram hogged by certain apps, memory leak, RAM overuse etc and it fixed the issue on what I quoted.

No harm but if any of your app contains a game thats paused, it will probably lose the progress when paused but your last saved profile will remain.

An iPhone 4S can usually have up to 270MB RAM free with barely anything running, no memory leak etc as far as I know. Not sure if the insufficient memory could be the cause of the reboots though.

Well for screen going dark, there are many possibilities so I'm not really sure, could be the ambient light sensor not detecting enough light, software issues or whatever.

App icons are grey on iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.