Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Managing Compilations in iTunes Library

Even though I'm viewing by Album and have sorted each track by Album, the tracks of a compliation are not sorted together in my library. How can I sort them together so to view all tracks on a single album? I want the compliation to appear as a single album with all tracks (1-13) listed together.

iTunes Library-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Feb 6, 2012 7:02 AM

23 replies

Feb 6, 2012 9:19 AM in response to GinaCR

Steve MacGuire aka turingtest2 - iTunes & iPod Hints & Tips - Grouping Tracks Into Albums - http://www.samsoft.org.uk/iTunes/grouping.asp (older post on Apple Discussions http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=9910895)

Quick answer: Select all the tracks on the album, File > get info, and either give them all a single "album artist" or check the "compilation" flag.

Feb 6, 2012 9:41 AM in response to .02

You could give all the tracks the same album name, that willl group them together into a single album.

Even if they have the same album name, if they have different artists (as a compilation album likely will) it will still split them up thinking it is several albums with the same name by different artists. You have to use album artist or the compilation flag to get them to identify as a single album with multiple artists.

Feb 6, 2012 10:03 AM in response to .02

And do you have the compilation tag set, or an identical album artist? Of course they also need the identical album tag too, but even if they do have that it won't get them to group with different artist unless you do as I suggested -- at least not in the last 10+ versions of iTunes I have seen discussed here in the last 6 years.

Feb 7, 2012 12:03 AM in response to GinaCR

What Limnos said originally should work

Quick answer: Select all the tracks on the album, then go to File > get info, and either give them all a single "album artist" or check the "compilation" flag.

But also, if there are blank spaces after the - album artist name - in the get info window, that can throw iTunes sorting off too, if different tracks have any variation at all in album artist name among the songs, then they probably won't sort together. Also the same applies to the album title field, even differences in extra blank spaces can make iTunes think there are different albums (I have had this happen). Also in get Info you might want to look at the - sorting - fields, sometimes variations in those can cause songs to not appear as a single album. What you are describing sounds like a metadata problem that you should be able to correct with Get Info tags.

Hope this helps, good luck.

Managing Compilations in iTunes Library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.