1 2 3 Previous Next 162 Replies Latest reply: May 20, 2014 10:51 AM by LarryHN
amandainthebarn Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Hi

When I click on iPhoto it asks me to select a library.

What iPhoto library do you want iPhoto to use?  To open, iPhoto needs a photo library.  Select a library from the list etc.

There is just a blank box.  I have a folder on my desktop called iPhoto Library (don't know how it got there) but it only contains

file://localhost/Users/amandaking/Desktop/iPhoto%20Library/AlbumData.xml

file://localhost/Users/amandaking/Desktop/iPhoto%20Library/AlbumData2.xml

file://localhost/Users/amandaking/Desktop/iPhoto%20Library/iPhoto.ipspot

file://localhost/Users/amandaking/Desktop/iPhoto%20Library/iPod%20Photo%20Cache/

file://localhost/Users/amandaking/Desktop/iPhoto%20Library/Metadata%20Backup/

How do I find my iPhoto library?  Does anyone know?

Thanks

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)
  • 1. Re: My iphoto library has disappeared. How do I find it?
    Terence Devlin Level 10 Level 10 (123,770 points)

It should be in your Pictures Folder.

That material there looks like the remnants of a Library.

Regards

TD

• 2. Re: My iphoto library has disappeared. How do I find it?
    amandainthebarn Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Hi

I've found 3 pictures folders but only one of them contains my pictures (one is an audio file, one contains:

file://localhost/Users/amandaking/Pictures/iChat%20Icons/

file://localhost/Users/amandaking/Pictures/iPod%20Photo%20Cache/

file://localhost/Users/amandaking/Pictures/Photo%20Booth/

How do I move the pictures folder with my pictures in into my library and reconnect it with iPhoto?  Also, how do I move the iPhoto library off my desktop into the iPhoto icon on the ribbon at the bottom of my screen?

Thanks

Amanda

• 3. Re: My iphoto library has disappeared. How do I find it?
    Terence Devlin Level 10 Level 10 (123,770 points)

On the basis of what you report, you don't have an  iPhoto Library

Regards

TD

• 4. Re: My iphoto library has disappeared. How do I find it?
    bittergrape Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I have this eaxt same problem.  I opened iPhoto tonight and I received a message asking me to find the library.  I searched for files I know were in the Library and nothing was found.  Rediculous.  My entire photo collection has disappeared.  I purchased my ibook less than 6 months ago and this is the first problem.  And this is a MAJOR problem.  My entire photo album is gone.  I don't know what to do...

• 5. Re: My iphoto library has disappeared. How do I find it?
    LarryHN Level 9 Level 9 (56,645 points)

Load your most recent backup

LN

• 6. Re: My iphoto library has disappeared. How do I find it?
    Badunit Level 6 Level 6 (10,815 points)

I've seen several threads here about iPhoto libraries disappearing, sometimes due to accidental deletion.  You could search the forum (or the web) to find some possible solutions. The correct answer depends on your situation.

You might try opening a Finder window and, in the search bar, enter kind:jpg and hit enter.  The list will be long. Are any of your iPhoto jpgs in the list?

• 7. Re: My iphoto library has disappeared. How do I find it?
    Polo_Mon Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Hi All,

Agree this is a major problem. Lost my entire photo collection too. Nothing in "Pictures", no image_xxx.jpg files anywhere, and for good measure, TimeMachine recorded no backups since Nov 2011.

I'm very fastidious about file management and backups. My iPhone and iPad have many of the photos stored there, most long after the "last TimeMachine backup". Attempt to view items saved on iPad allows only photos NOT PREVIOUSLY saved to iPhoto to be viewed; no photos or Albums specifically selected for sync between iPad-iPhoto can be viewed or managed within iPhoto.

Conclusion:  iPhoto had somehow trashed "iPhoto Library." How now do I salvage pix from iPad and iPhone, and protect them from iPhoto and TimeMachine in the future?

• 8. Re: My iphoto library has disappeared. How do I find it?

You may also want to look into why Time Machine has no backups newer than Nov 2011.  When set to automatically backup your system, it does hourly updates (or is supposed to do so).  Is it set to automatically backup?

• 9. Re: My iphoto library has disappeared. How do I find it?

To clarify:  TimeMachine operating and backing up all data, EXCEPT files in folder "Pictures", default location and files for iPhoto. Last valid backup of iPhoto Novermber 2011, instead of less than an hour ago.

• 10. Re: My iphoto library has disappeared. How do I find it?

Are you are purposely not backing up that directory, it is set as an excluded directory in Time Machine preferences?

• 11. Re: My iphoto library has disappeared. How do I find it?

Let's not go on tangent. I REALLY, truly have it together on TimeMachine, its prefs, volume exclusions etc. NO folders from my working drive are excluded from my backups. Only backup volume, TimeMachine is excluded from backing up itself.

• 12. Re: My iphoto library has disappeared. How do I find it?
    LarryHN Level 9 Level 9 (56,645 points)

Actually the tangent is that you are posting a Time machine question in the iPhoto forum. IPhoto has no connection with TM. IPhoto created a database and what tM does or does not do with that package is not controlled by iPhoto

It has been noted here that TM does not backup t iPhoto library is iPhoto is running so that could be your case I guess.

LN

• 13. Re: My iphoto library has disappeared. How do I find it?

It was me that went on the tagent, not Polo_Man.  The question was really about a missing iPhoto library.

• 14. Re: My iphoto library has disappeared. How do I find it?

Thanks to Badunit. No intent here to be rude or off topic, just to be comrehensive. Key is iPhoto misbehaving.

In this case, without any recent config changes, moves of files in or out of Pictures folder (default directory by iPhoto for its "iPhoto Library"), changes to iTunes backups prefs for iOS devices, everything in Pictures has vanished.

The obvious, EZ solution is to shrug, then restore from TimeMachine, and not to bother posting at all to any forum. I first tired that. I agree TM SHOULD be completely unrelated, so I'm completely mystified that the ONLY backup file confirmed missing from my TM backups since Nov 2011 should be the very files that iPhoto manages.

The concern is some hidden or background file that manages iPhoto content to TM and sync to iOS has gone haywire. On that I'm asking the forum for like experience or workarounds. I have also pending support case  on this with Apple, who likewise are a stumped. So ANY help is appreciated.

1 2 3 Previous Next