Looks like no oneā€™s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Partition Problems

So, I recently got given a Windows 8 beta iso wich i had to try. i installed windows 8 via bootcamp knowing that i could not use the windows side driver's. i installed windows 8 without any issues to both windows or mac, but after a few days of testing i removed the partion using disk utility Not bootcamp wich was a bad idea. Now i want to re-install windows 7 (x64) but i cannot due to errors in both disk utility & bootcamp:

Bootcamp:

Error at first screen saying: The startup disk cannot be partitioned or restored to a single partition. The startup disk must be formatted as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume or already partitioned by Boot Camp Assistant for installing Windows.

I have tried lot's and read forums to solve this issue but i cannot find a way, including adding and rezising partions then removing them and so forth.

Disk Utility:

After Attempting to add a partion to my 1x 500gb Hdd suplied with the imac i get this error:

Partition failed with the error: Couldnā€™t modify partition map because file system verification failed.

Any and all help would be Massivly apreacheated! Tom

(imac 12,1 21.5" late 11 imac... Everything is standard no extras or upgrades)

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Feb 6, 2012 11:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 6, 2012 11:58 AM

Backup your files then create a bootable clone of your internal hard drive on another drive. Boot from that other drive and do the following:

Drive Preparation

1. Open Disk Utility in your Utilities folder.

2. After DU loads select your internal hard drive (this is the entry with the mfgr.'s ID and size) from the left side list. Note the SMART status of the drive in DU's status area. If it does not say "Verified" then the drive is failing or has failed and will need replacing. SMART info will not be reported on external drives. Otherwise, click on the Partition tab in the DU main window.

3. Under the Volume Scheme heading set the number of partitions from the drop down menu to one. Click on the Options button, set the partition scheme to GUID then click on the OK button. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Click on the Partition button and wait until the process has completed.

Reinstall Lion on the internal drive and restore your files from your backup.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 6, 2012 11:58 AM in response to thomas_holt

Backup your files then create a bootable clone of your internal hard drive on another drive. Boot from that other drive and do the following:

Drive Preparation

1. Open Disk Utility in your Utilities folder.

2. After DU loads select your internal hard drive (this is the entry with the mfgr.'s ID and size) from the left side list. Note the SMART status of the drive in DU's status area. If it does not say "Verified" then the drive is failing or has failed and will need replacing. SMART info will not be reported on external drives. Otherwise, click on the Partition tab in the DU main window.

3. Under the Volume Scheme heading set the number of partitions from the drop down menu to one. Click on the Options button, set the partition scheme to GUID then click on the OK button. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Click on the Partition button and wait until the process has completed.

Reinstall Lion on the internal drive and restore your files from your backup.

Feb 6, 2012 12:15 PM in response to Kappy

Thank you, I Just got my iMac wthin this year and would like to hope that my main and only drive has not failed or is failing. Thanks for your answer, i am going to follow your instructions.

Edit: Sorry lol, But i saw a button called 'check drive' in disk utility and i got an error:

Verifying partition map for ā€œST3500418AS Mediaā€

Checking prerequisites

Checking the partition list

Problems were found with the partition map which might prevent booting

Error: Partition map check failed because no slices were found.

Verifying and repairing partition map for ā€œST3500418AS Mediaā€

Checking prerequisites

Checking the partition list

Problems were encountered during repair of the partition map

Error: Partition map check failed because no slices were found.

Hope this will give more details

Thomas

Nov 4, 2013 9:44 AM in response to thomas_holt

Kappy

Mac OS X 10.9 (was the same on 10.8 before update)

My problem:

In disk aid after "disk repair" shows: Partition verification and repair for "ST3500418AS Media" failed (in my language - IĀ“m not using EN). So I followed steps you wrote, but in step 3. after setting partition in drop menu to "one" and comfirming it, it shows an error:

- Partition failed

Partition failed with error:
failed to disconnect the drive

So I can not continue.

Pls can you help me?

Nov 6, 2013 5:19 AM in response to Kappy

Pls, can you help?

Mac OS X 10.9 (was the same on 10.8 before update)

My problem:

In disk aid after "disk repair" shows: Partition verification and repair for "ST3500418AS Media" failed (in my language - IĀ“m not using EN). So I followed steps you wrote, but in step 3. after setting partition in drop menu to "one" and comfirming it, it shows an error:

- Partition failed

Partition failed with error:
failed to disconnect the drive

So I can not continue.

Pls can you help me?

Partition Problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.