Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stop F8 key from launching iTunes?

How do I remove any application association with the F8 key?

F8 is currently launching iTunes when I hit it and since I don't use iTunes on my work computer and need F8 for other functionality this is interfering with my workflow.

I do not see any association with the F8 key in System Preferences > Keyboard Preference Pane > Keyboard Shortcuts.

The only thing listed there is:

Move focus to staus menus ^F8

I also do not see any way to remove the F8 association in any of the iTunes preferences.

Any assistance would be appreciated 🙂

Posted on Feb 6, 2012 11:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 6, 2012 11:36 AM

On a MacBook Pro, at least, all the function keys have special functions, and F8 is used to play/pause music in iTunes. You use them as actual F-keys by holding down the fn key while pressing them. You can reverse this behavior, so that fn-F8 is required to play/pause music instead, by using the option shown below in System Preferences -> Keyboard -> Keyboard.

User uploaded file

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 6, 2012 11:36 AM in response to Light Speed

On a MacBook Pro, at least, all the function keys have special functions, and F8 is used to play/pause music in iTunes. You use them as actual F-keys by holding down the fn key while pressing them. You can reverse this behavior, so that fn-F8 is required to play/pause music instead, by using the option shown below in System Preferences -> Keyboard -> Keyboard.

User uploaded file

Stop F8 key from launching iTunes?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.