Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacPro 2,1 64bit EFI

I have a MacPro 2,1 and a MacbookPro 3,1 , will there ever be an EFI update to get a 64bit kernel .

It is really disappointing that there is still no update to have a 64bit option .

There are programs witch demand a 64 bit kernel like AVID Media Composer 6 . I have seen that there are 64bit hacks ( Chameleon ) , so it seams not to be impossible .

What is the reason there is still not such un update ?

Thank you ;-( G

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3), EFI update ?

Posted on Feb 6, 2012 12:07 PM

15 replies

Feb 6, 2012 12:27 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Pretty much like cars. They aren't as expensive, but they go obsolete the moment you drive them out of the store, we get about as much usage as we get from a car. But for some reason we believe that unlike cars the manufacturer should give us free upgrades for life. Such nonsense for something that costs, typically, less than $3,000. But they never complain to an automaker for new car to replace their old car. Goofy, don't you think?

Feb 6, 2012 12:37 PM in response to gerahdo

Except that Intel and Gigabyte and others do continue to issue BIOS updates to a 3 yrs old board when and as needed to fix or be compatible. UEFI is being added to two year old boards that didn't have it available at the time.

Netkis.org has what you could call experimental firmware for MacPro1,1 to better support 8-core 53xx series Xeons, for one.

EFI64 or Unified EFI as it likes to be called by some, was not formalized until very late 2007 in time for the Early 2008, though even there I think there are difference between 2008 - 2009 - 2010 and 64-bit kernel mode beyond RAM timings, processor support, and other factors.

You want something else, go with different hardware platform and vendor.

Feb 6, 2012 12:42 PM in response to The hatter

That's because the ROM is large enough and the board is only 3 years old. The MP referenced is from early 2007 making it 5 years old. Those Gigabyte boards are already equipped with 64-bit EFI ROMs and firmware.

The firmware update for the 1,1 MP was actually the firmware from the 2,1 MP which works because both machines have the EFI32 ROMs and only solved a limited problem. It didn't provide better support for the 53xx CPUs.

Feb 6, 2012 3:21 PM in response to gerahdo

OS X does have a 64-bit kernel, but older 32-bit EFI ROM machines cannot boot the 64-bit kernel. When those machines were built OS X did not have a 64-bit kernel. Keep in mind that hardware and software tend to run together.

All Macs from 2008 forward have 64-bit EFI ROMS and do boot the 64-bit kernel. Believe me you'll find it a bit difficult running 64-bit Windows on older PCs with no 64-bit support.

You seem not to be well-informed in these matters. Maybe you've spent a little too much time with hackintoshes? 🙂

Apr 30, 2012 2:33 PM in response to gerahdo

I got tired of waiting for Apple to release an update for my MacPro 2,1. My MacPro 2,1 has 32GB of RAM

I've got a NVIDIA GTX 285 that I flashed to get it to work with my MACPRO. Now most of the ATI high end graphics cards work too. I tried a friends HD5770 and it works fine. Now I want to run 64 Bit Lion. Well Apple's response wasn't what I wanted to hear. For test I created a 64bit VM and I run it in Vmware Fusion. It runs fine. I connected a ESATA cable to my one of my extra SATA ports ( there are two extra that can be used to connect a SATA DVD Blue RAY drive or whatever) I've got a Black Widow SATA drive dock connected. I created a test Hackintosh Image. It works fine. I can't give you the image since that's illeagal, but I can suggest follow the directions on the Hackintosh site. It will run fine and stable!

Mar 13, 2013 12:49 AM in response to gerahdo

Windows 64-bit does not run on any Mac Pro version 1.1 or version 2.1 it is extremely unfortunate in my opinion and to see a keynote address where the speaker states " 100% 64-bit top to bottom" you would be inclined to believe that that's what you got.

Nobody here is asking for something for free I believe they're just asking for what they thought they bought along with what Apple in my belief had been known for being fair to consumers that's why I went with a Mac I actually bought into the whole thing.

So angry after all this time of trying to get them to actually realize what happened and that when somebody says

100% 64-bit top to bottom you don't expect a 32-bit kennel and EFI surprise.

By placing that 32-bit EFI in there they devalued the machine drastically when it was brought out they compared it to a Dell computer with the same processors like for like they said you get more with the Mac and its less money configured the same way. Well I know this that Dell will run 64-bit all day long the Mac no I'm just stating facts

What Wikipedia states a kernel is

1."The core, center, or essence of an object or system."

Mar 13, 2013 12:45 AM in response to Kappy

The idea of running something illegal is not something I'm going to do. But he did bring up an interesting point is I do believe all computers are going to be running off some form of bare metal in addition to who enterprise hardware that you can pay for as much as you need when you need it If you really want power look to the cloud

It's coming soon. I wonder if Apple will be an innovator in this new market or not.

The world is changing people if you look at where the host is you have to go by that hosting company countries laws if they do not meet with the United States says is legal or not legal that is not their concern.

Please do not think I am advocating doing something illegal I'm not I'm just saying this is where the world is going if you don't agree with that, that's your business if you tell me I'm somebody who wants to do something wrong are still intellectual-property you're extremely wrong I'm somebody who's had an actual property stolen it from me and I know what it's like.

Apple should step up and fix this that's where this discussion should be headed and if they can't well there's a lot of options out there

MacPro 2,1 64bit EFI

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.