Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

'Safari quit unexpectedly"- OSX 10.4.11 and Safari 4.1.3: Help?

This issue is happening more and more regularly lately. I have an iBook G4 running OSX 0.4.11, Safari 4.1.3, Airport Extreme and use Roadrunner as my internet gateway, via cable tv-type hook up. That is the only (semi) high speed connection available where I live. While reading the Roadrunner news or my emails, Safari will "quit unexpectedly" I send the report and try to get back on line to finish reading, but I have to go to Disk Utility and reset all permissions, then try to reopen Safari. After using the reset option on safari(clearing everything except website icons and autofill), several times (or sometimes closing down and rebooting the laptop). This has become a real PITA, as I have had crashes while writing important emails but not too often while just surfing the net.

Looking at the reports on Console, I see the permissions being repaired each time I run the Disk Utility and I see the crash reports. Is there something I can copy and post here, that might tell what is going on? Just let me know and I will do so. Thanks! bob.c

G4 iMac flat panel, G4 iBook 12", G3 Wallstreet (OSX 10.2), Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Feb 6, 2012 3:33 PM

3 replies

Feb 6, 2012 4:05 PM in response to bob.c

Hi Bob...

It's doubtful repairing permissions will have any affect on Safari crashing. Try several things first before posting a crash report.

Try Safari in another user account. If it crashes there, that's an indication that the startup disk may need repairing. Log back into your admin account.

Launch Disk Utility.

Select the startup disk on the left then select the First Aid tab.

Click: Verify Disk (not Verify Disk Permissions)

If the disk needs repairing follow the instructions for Using Disk Utility to verify or repair disks

If Safari doesn't crash in another user account, in your user account launch Safari.

From the menu bar click Safari > Preferences then select the Security tab.

Deselect: Enable plug-ins

Quit then relaunch Safari. If it doesn't crash, then you need to troublesoot > Safari: Unsupported third-party add-ons may cause Safari to unexpectedly quit or have performance issues

If it's not a plugin issue, post a crash report.

Safari Crash Log: If Safari has just crashed, press the Report button on the CrashReporter dialog box to view the crash information.

Copy/paste the entire contents of the Crash Reporter window into your reply. If the crash report dialog does not appear or the crash is hard to reproduce, crash logs can be retrieved from the ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter> folder.

'Safari quit unexpectedly"- OSX 10.4.11 and Safari 4.1.3: Help?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.