Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I upgrade quicktime x to quicktime pro?

I just purchased a 13.3 macbook pro and want to upgrade the quicktime x to quicktime pro but can't seem to figure out how.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Feb 6, 2012 4:44 PM

14 replies

Feb 6, 2012 5:42 PM in response to esaline

There is no pro version of Quicktime X. The pro version is for version 7. Quicktime X has some of the features of Quicktime Pro 7. Is there something in particular you are looking to do?

If you don't have it, I think this is the correct Quictime 7 for Lion: http://support.apple.com/kb/dl923 . Purchase of a QT Pro activation key will turn it into the Pro version.

Feb 6, 2012 5:51 PM in response to esaline

You may not be all that impressed. With respect to editing, I believe QT X and QT 7 Pro are about the same. QT 7 Pro has more export options, though.

You enter the registration key by going to the menu item QuickTime Player 7/Registration. Type the registration code into the box.

Irregardless of the editing features, I use QT 7 whenever possible because I do not like the floating play controls in QT X. They cover up the video. Very annoying to have them in the way when you are scrubbing through a video.

Mar 14, 2012 9:29 PM in response to Badunit

Sorry - that is not true under snow leopard.

I also want to upgrade Quicktime X to a version that will allow editiing. But when I attempted to download Quicktime 7 so I could upgrade to Pro, the OS informed me that I couldn't do that because version X was installed.

When I attempted to install 7 on an external drive, I was told it had to be on the boot drive.

When I attempted to remove the X version through Applications, I was told it could not be removed because it was part of the operating system.

All I want to do is be able to cut segments out of MOV files and NOT compress them. iMovie, even when saving MOV files to MOV, compresses them. I just want to trim MOV files. What other non-Apple software can I use that JUST trims MOV files and nothing else?

Jun 2, 2013 9:27 PM in response to superman3gsm

OK, I found it ... Utilities is a subfolder under Applications.

I ran QT7 now and entered my registration code for QTPro for Win7 ... and discovered that QTPro for Win != QTPro for mac ... so you have to purchase it a second time. OK, this is getting way too expensive and not worth it. Why does Apple have to make this so complex and expensive? arghh.

Oct 26, 2013 10:04 PM in response to esaline

I had the same issue as the OP and wasted money buying an upgrade license for Quicktime 7 when I have Quicktime X (or at least the Quicktime Player -- not even sure if they are the same) that came with Mountain Lion -- thanks Apple! Anyway, I recommend ImageJ. Follow the installation instructions exactly, and then when it opens, look at the menu bar because the window is very minimalistic and won't show you anything unless you have files open. It seems to be quite a powerful program. Many plugins are available, and best of all it's free.

how do I upgrade quicktime x to quicktime pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.