Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"ARP Cache Poison Attempt"

Anyone know what a "ARP Cache Poison Attempt" is? Should I be concerned if I get this error message on my Mac's Utility Console?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Feb 6, 2012 4:58 PM

1 reply

Feb 6, 2012 5:11 PM in response to mcw001

Where are you seeing that? In the Console, meaning the Console app found in /Applications/Utilities? Or somewhere else? Can you post the exact message you're seeing?

ARP cache poisoning is basically a technique hackers use to fool a machine into routing traffic meant for a particular server to a different server. For example, it could be used to make all attempts to load a Google page instead load a page from a malicious server. However, the hacker would have to be on your local network, if this is not a false alarm. How are you connected to the internet?

"ARP Cache Poison Attempt"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.